wiced_bt_dev_read_rssi not returning RSSI for BLE

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.

I am using the BCM43341 reference platform and I am running the WICED-3.5.1 SDK.

Unfortunately, whenever I call the wiced_bt_dev_read_rssi(), the callback from the lower layer never returns with a value ...

static void                   device_ble_rssi_status_callback  ( wiced_bt_dev_rssi_result_t *p_status );

wiced_result_t            device_read_rssi_status (wiced_bt_device_address_t remote_bda, wiced_bt_transport_t transport, device_dev_cmpl_cback_t *p_cback);

wiced_result_t device_read_rssi_status (wiced_bt_device_address_t remote_bda, wiced_bt_transport_t transport, device_dev_cmpl_cback_t *p_cback)

{

WPRINT_APP_INFO( ("Got request for RSSI status from remote ble client [%02X:%02X:%02X:%02X:%02X:%02X]\n", remote_bda[0], remote_bda[1],      remote_bda[2], remote_bda[3], remote_bda[4], remote_bda[5]) );

wiced_bt_dev_read_rssi (remote_bda, transport, p_cback);

return WICED_SUCCESS;

}

/*  device RSSI status report handler */

static void device_ble_rssi_status_callback( wiced_bt_dev_rssi_result_t *p_status )

{

if(p_status != NULL) {

printf("Got RSSI = %d dB\n", ((wiced_bt_dev_rssi_result_t*)p_status)->rssi); 

}

return;

}

This is called every 10s ...

/* read RSSI */

device_read_rssi_status( p_status->bd_addr, p_status->transport, (wiced_bt_dev_cmpl_cback_t *) device_ble_rssi_status_callback );

0 Likes
1 Solution
14 Replies
ShawnA_01
Employee
Employee
10 questions asked 5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA

Did you ever get this to work?   The same problem seems to exist in WICED STUDIO 4.0.

0 Likes

It's a known bug fixed in upcoming SDK 4.1.1 release...

Shawn Antol wrote:

It's a known bug fixed in upcoming SDK 4.1.1 release...

What about fixes for older sdk versions?

Latest sdk might support more features with more platform, but with regarding to stability it is not the best choice.

You should apply *bug fixes* for older sdk as well, not everyone is using latest SDK.

0 Likes

The change requires modifications to the (binary) libraries so it's unlikely we will release a simple "patch" that modifies source code for older SDKs.   I also don't know if there are any point-releases planned for the older SDKs.

However, there may be a workaround.  The bug is found in the "bluetooth_low_energy" libraries. The bug does not exist in the "bluetooth_dual_mode" libraries.

You might be able to use the "dual_mode" library by modifying the makefile:

$(NAME)_COMPONENTS += libraries/drivers/bluetooth/dual_mode

Let us know if this works.

Shawn Antol wrote:

The change requires modifications to the (binary) libraries so it's unlikely we will release a simple "patch" that modifies source code for older SDKs.   I also don't know if there are any point-releases planned for the older SDKs.

It's not about if a workaround works or not.

I'm not comfortable about the fact wiced team doesn't maintain bug fix for binary libraries in older SDK.

0 Likes

This issue still exist on WICED 5.2 and 6.0 while dual_mode library works fine.

inoue_tomohiro_1742091​, snal and others.

We had the developers look into this issue and they found that there was indeed a bug (stack based) in the status returned by the wiced_bt_dev_read_rssi API. This has since been fixed and will be part of the next release.

0 Likes

mifo

Thank you very much for the update. Can you please let us know the timeline for the next release, in 1 month or 3 month or 6 month?

0 Likes

mifo wrote:

inoue_tomohiro_1742091, snal and others.

We had the developers look into this issue and they found that there was indeed a bug (stack based) in the status returned by the wiced_bt_dev_read_rssi API. This has since been fixed and will be part of the next release.

From the 6.0.1 changelog, it does not include this fix?

0 Likes

I tried this with 6.0.1, but not fixed yet.

Does sdk-6.1 include this fix?

The CHANGELOG does not mention about this fix.

snal

0 Likes

I saw this is fixed on WICED 6.1.

axel.lin_1746341min-ching_2772971

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm also waiting for this read rssi function to be fixed for BLE device. Any update?

0 Likes

Please create a new thread as the Applications team does not actively monitor closed threads.

0 Likes