Re: How to resolve random ble address (con't)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DaC_2572631
Level 1
Level 1
First like received First like given

Hi, was this issue ever solved?

How to resolve random ble address

I'm using WICED SDK v6.2.1, and trying to use a CYW43438A1 as a peripheral device, to be connected to by devices using Resolvable Private Addresses (from iOS/Android of course).

I can bond with devices, and store the keys, including the IRK and Static Public address, so I know the module can resolve this address somehow.

However, when a previously bonded device reconnects, and asks for the Identity keys, I can only access its RPA address (bd_addr).  When the "BTM_PAIRED_DEVICE_LINK_KEYS_REQUEST_EVT" triggers, I would expected "p_event_data->paired_device_link_keys_request.key_data.static_addr" to contain the static address, but it is empty.

So how can I resolve the RPA of a device trying to connect, so I can find its static address and match the Link Keys that I store in NVRAM?

I need a function like

wiced_bool_t wiced_bt_dev_get_identity_address( wiced_bt_device_address_t bd_addr, wiced_bt_device_address_t identity_address )

but it is undefined when I build the project.  Only seems implemented on the BCM920739.  Resolving and saving the keys seems to work on the CYW43438A1, however, so is there a way to ask it for the resolved address?

Thanks,

Dave

3 Replies
AnjanaM_61
10 questions asked 5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA

Hi,

Could you please confirm the bonding of devices are successful?

There is no direct API as wiced_bt_dev_get_identity_address . However paired_device_link_keys_request.key_data.static_addr should work.

Can you please share your project ?

Thanks,

Anjana

0 Likes

Dear, AnjanaM_61.

I have same question.

I confirm that the bonding of devices are successful.

The field "paired_device_link_keys_request.key_data.static_addr" contains the correct STATIC ADDRESS, when I got event "BTM_PAIRED_DEVICE_LINK_KEYS_UPDATE_EVT".

However, if  I do RESET my device CYW290719 and then I do connect Android smartphone, I get event BTM_PAIRED_DEVICE_LINK_KEYS_REQUEST_EVT.

And wiced_bt_management_evt_data_t *p_event_data contains STATIC ADDRESS = 00 00 00 00 00 00

Hi AnjanaM_61​,

Thank you for your response.

I can confirm that the devices successfully bond.  I can save & read the keys from SPI flash and this works.

I see the same behaviour as d.kozenkov_3902136

I tested using a static public address, and a Resolvable Private Address for the peer device.  The log output from my board looks like:

/// Using Static Public Address as Device Address ///

First-time connection:

>> BTM_PAIRED_DEVICE_LINK_KEYS_UPDATE_EVT

- DEVICE ADDRESS: [12:34:56:78:9A:BC]

- DEVICE ADDRESS TYPE: 0

- PUBLIC ADDRESS: [12:34:56:78:9A:BC]

- PUBLIC ADDRESS TYPE: 0

- LTK: [71:73:8F:00:FF:98:88:C0:5B:38:AF:A6:FF:00:BF:FF]

>>> Key added to resolution db, result 0

Then restart board, and reconnect device:

>> [BTM_PAIRED_DEVICE_LINK_KEYS_REQUEST_EVT]

- paired_device_link_keys_request.key_data.static_addr: [00:00:00:00:00:00]

/// Using Resolvable Private Address as Device Address ///

First-time connection:

>> BTM_PAIRED_DEVICE_LINK_KEYS_UPDATE_EVT

- DEVICE ADDRESS: [9B:68:B0:5F:63:93]

- DEVICE ADDRESS TYPE: 1

- PUBLIC ADDRESS: [12:34:56:78:9A:BC]

- PUBLIC ADDRESS TYPE: 0

- LTK: [FC:8C:FF:02:C4:7D:44:42:66:C7:D7:00:88:3C:3F:12]

>>> Key added to resolution db, result 0

Then restart board, and reconnect device:

>> [BTM_PAIRED_DEVICE_LINK_KEYS_REQUEST_EVT]

- paired_device_link_keys_request.key_data.static_addr: [00:00:00:00:00:00]

Behaviour is the same when using static public or RPA for the peer.  The CYW43438A1 does know that the DEVICE ADDRESS TYPE is BLE_ADDR_RANDOM, and I can successfully add this address to the address resolution database using:

wiced_bt_dev_add_device_to_address_resolution_db()

and I also do this at boot, for each address in SPI flash.

There are other WICED_BT_ADDR_TYPE, these are BLE_ADDR_PUBLIC_ID and BLE_ADDR_RANDOM_ID.  What do these types refer to?  Should a peer using RPA be detected as one of these BT types?

So I still see [00:00:00:00:00:00] for the resolved address, which means I cannot use the Static Public address to search the SPI flash database to find keys to authenticate.

0 Likes