Resources for learning

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am very new to this field(moved here from arduino) and I can tell that I do not know enough about how to program embedded systems, how bluetooth smart exactly works, and how to design custom pcbs for the BCM2073X devices. The documentation from broadcom are a little daunting to me.

Would you guys recommend any resources/books/websites for a beginner like me so I can gradually gain a better understanding of embedded systems programming, bluetooth smart, and pcb design?

Thanks a lot!

0 Likes
1 Solution
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee
500 likes received 250 likes received 100 likes received

I think Wikipedia has good right write up about BT and ble, so this can give u a head start on the learning curve. Otherwise u can find out more on the BT sig web, but I thought those materials can be quite intimidating for a novice...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee
500 likes received 250 likes received 100 likes received

I think Wikipedia has good right write up about BT and ble, so this can give u a head start on the learning curve. Otherwise u can find out more on the BT sig web, but I thought those materials can be quite intimidating for a novice...

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply!! Yeah I find a lot of the material quite intimidating, and I see so many experts here in this forum, so I guess I am just wondering how everyone here learned bluetooth technology/embedded systems/designing pcbs....there aren't really any textbooks/courses that I can find teaching people how to design pcbs/how bluetooth works on the hardware/firmware level, and most of the programs that I have written in C/C++ look nothing like the example codes the sdk provided....

0 Likes

I think most people here on the forums were real time embedded software developers first, then they picked up Bluetooth over time.

This is a book I often recommend for BLE, but it wont help much with the Real Time Embedded SW portion of the craft: Bluetooth Low Energy: The Developer's Handbook: Robin Heydon: 9780132888363: Amazon.com: Books

There is a great video tutorial from Macnica that covers the basic (more will come soon): http://www.macnica-na.com/vworkshops/bluetooth-smart-1

Regarding the books: "The Bluetooth Low Energy: The Developer's Handbook from Robin Heydon" is an EXCELLENT resource. It is going really into details, so if you want to understand bits and bytes that is a good one, also mainly because Robin Heydon took part to the writing of the standard.

You can take a look at the following book as well: Amazon.com: Getting Started with Bluetooth Low Energy: Tools and Techniques for Low-Power Networking... it covers the programming of smart devices Android and iPhone on BLE including the coverage of the spec, there is a bunch of code examples etc...nice resource.

Keep an eye on Macnica as new workshops will be releases soon. It is always nice to watch a video (without necessarily reading tones of books)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you 79rpm, mwf_mmfae and boont for your helpful replies!!! I shall look into the macnica tutorial and the books that you recommended. Thanks a lot!!

0 Likes