Regarding Bluetooth peripheral method on WICED Wi-Fi platform

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello

As you can see the title, I wish to use the Bluetooth peripheral operation method based on the WICED Wi-Fi platform as I understand that currently the WICED Wi-Fi platform only support the Bluetooth Central method, and therefore in order to use the Bluetooth peripheral method, we have to integrate the BCM20732 chipset with the WICED Wi-Fi platform, but there are some of issues for us, firstly the BCM20732 chipset did not support the Bluetooth EDR feature for scanning BD_ADDR information for various clients device, secondly we could not available to update the BCM20732 module's firmware through WICED Wi-Fi OTA procedure.

Would you please help me about that? or you have a plan to support the Bluetooth peripheral method into the WICED Wi-Fi platform?

Thank you for your kindly response for my consideration.

Best Regards

Daniel

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Aji

Our timeframe is ASAP^^, and therefore we are using the BCM20723 module for the Bluetooth peripheral method temporally instead of BCM20705 module, but this solution is not so good, because there are issues regarding the OTA upgrade through WICED Wi-Fi and Bluetooth classic supportability.

Thank you

Daniel

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

I'm pretty sure there are plans to include peripheral capabilities and a full dual Bluetooth stack to the WICED Wi-Fi platform.  Please post your question on the WICED Wi-Fi forum, maybe they can provide you details: WICED Wi-Fi Forums

In addition, the new WICED Smart SDK version 1.1 (supports mainly services) supports Over The Air (OTA) firmware upgrades (Apps/RAM/ota_firmware_upgrade) using the BCM20732-based (Smart only, BLE operation not EDR/BT Classic) Tag board.

From ws_upgrade_ota.c:

* This file provides the functionality required to support Over the Air WICED Smart Upgrades

* To download, the host sends command to download with length of the patch to be

* transmitted.  After the device acks, the host sends fixed chunks of data

* each has to be acked.  After all the bytes have been downloaded

* and acknowledged the host sends a verify command that includes CRC32 of the

* whole patch.  During the download, the device saves data directly to the EEPROM

* or serial flash.  At the verification stage the device reads data back from the

* NVRAM and calculates checksum of the data stored there.  The result of the

* verification is sent back to the host.

Further details of OTA updates is discussed in the AppNote "How to Write WICED Smart Applications", which is available here on the website within the downloads section: How to Write WICED Smart Applications

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello mfortner

Thanks for your quickly response for me^^.

Now I understand that the BCM20732 will support the upgrade feature using by OTA.

I have one more question for that the WICED Wi-Fi SDK will be support the Bluetooth Peripheral method or not? as I understand that now it is supporting the Bluetooth Central method?

Would please let me know the supportability ?

Thank you

Daniel

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Daniel,

WICED Wi-Fi SDK integrates Bluetooth bridging API which you can use in one of the following two modes:

1. Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) or Smart which bridges BLE devices ONLY to the Wi-Fi connection using SmartBridge API. In this mode, the WICED device runs on BLE central role to scan for BLE devices.

2. Bluetooth classic running a RFCOMM server which bridges Bluetooth devices running RFCOMM clients to the Wi-Fi connection. In this mode, the WICED device advertises itself and allows other devices to scan and find it.

Is option 2 the solution that you're looking for? If it is, please take a look at Apps/snip/bt_rfcomm. Thanks.

Regards,

Aji

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Aji

Thanks for your kindly response!

I think that the option2 looks like to run the Bluetooth Classic, but I need to use the Bluetooth Low Energy(BLE) operation with the Peripheral method in order to advertising iBeacon Profile.

Best Regards

Daniel

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Daniel,

WICED SmartBridge doesn't support that feature yet. There's a plan to support GAP Peripheral role, but the timeframe is still unknown. What is you timeframe to get this working?

Regards,

Aji

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Aji

Our timeframe is ASAP^^, and therefore we are using the BCM20723 module for the Bluetooth peripheral method temporally instead of BCM20705 module, but this solution is not so good, because there are issues regarding the OTA upgrade through WICED Wi-Fi and Bluetooth classic supportability.

Thank you

Daniel