Piconet with encryption

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried to modify hello_client and hello_sensor (BCM20737 TAG) to build a piconet:

Master <-> Relay <-> Slave

I use hello_client codes for Master and Relay.  hello_sensor codes for Slave.

I can make it work when there is no bonding/encryption enabled.  However, when I enable the encryption, there is a problem between Master and Relay.

The sniffer shows the following:

Master -> Relay: Pairing Request

Relay -> Master: Pairing Response

Master -> Relay: Pairing Confirmation

Relay -> Master: Pairing Random

then there is no further control messages for encryption.  The link is still there (timeout disabled) but no more control messages.

I can make the Master (hello_client) connects with Slaves (hello_sensor) with encryption.  However, I cannot make the Master (hello_client) connects with Relay (hello_client) with encryption. 

Any idea why is that?  Any difference of the security operations between hello_client (as slave) and hello_sensor?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

I still cannot figure out why I cannot use the codes from "hello_client" as a relay with encryption connection. When the encryption is disabled, it can function as a relay.   I later modified the codes of "hello_sensor" to make it as a relay (master/slave) node and it has no problem.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee
500 likes received 250 likes received 100 likes received

Below is a good thread on simultaneous roles of the BLE, that your Relay is performing.

Testing Master and Slave Roles

BoonT_56
Employee
Employee
500 likes received 250 likes received 100 likes received

hlee

So is this still an issue?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I still cannot figure out why I cannot use the codes from "hello_client" as a relay with encryption connection. When the encryption is disabled, it can function as a relay.   I later modified the codes of "hello_sensor" to make it as a relay (master/slave) node and it has no problem.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi hlee,

Sorry for the late response, we are looking into this issue.

-Kevin

0 Likes