USB3 Protocol Analysers

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
LiMa_282146
Level 4
Level 4
First like given

Hi,

Would anyone recommend a  USB3 Protocol Analyser for debugging the SuperSpeed bus. I've seen analysers from TotalPhase and LeCroy but its hard to know if these are a sutiable. I've used a USB 2 analyser in the past and this was very helpful in identifying and solving problems.

Thanks,

Sodfarl

0 Likes
6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't really recommend because all of them have their own significant feature, also the manufacturers have different products based on capture capability needed as well

Just listing my experience with USB analyzers

Lecroy has a good GUI, you hover over it and it tells you what is wrong, you can decode and see the value obtained and the value that should have been sent

Ellysis opens window panes and exposes the data so I find it easier for comparing data also

Haven't used totalphase much but I like the fact that it often groups based on class based protocol by itself

Regards,

Anand

0 Likes
LiMa_282146
Level 4
Level 4
First like given

Hi Anand,

Thanks for your reply. I've used the Ellisys for USB 2 and found the user interface intuitive and easy to set up. However their USB 3 analyser is expensive as it  is also a USB 3 exerciser and can generate USB 3 traffic as well as analyse it. With the Beagle USB  5000 from TotalPhase the USB traffic can be displayed in real time and this may be of  benefit.

Sodafarl

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Today I was on a workshop done by Lecroy with the topic USB 2.0 / 3.0 protocol and physical layer analyzing. The Voyager seems to be very easy to setup and use. With the traffic generator you are able to perform all protocol compliance tests by USB IF.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I somehow like that GUI of Lecroy a lot. You can play around with it and even find out what was transmitted at the bit/signalling level.

MAYBE I'M BIASED BECAUSE I'VE USED IT TOO OFTEN 😄

Cheers,

AASI

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

😄 I think, this is also the situation with the LeCroy scopes. Once you have worked with them, you never want another...

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey everyone.

Resuming an old thread.Can i get some pointers on the available usb3.0 analyzers for a Linux Host.

Thanks

Denny"

0 Likes