EX USB FX3 with large amount of video data

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
yakac_3966841
Level 1
Level 1

I need to transfer to PC video data with 120 FPS, 10 bit per pixel, 800x480 resolution. I was wondering if the  EZ USB FX3 can do this. As far as I understand, if I need 10 bit per pixel this is effectively 16, so two pixels take all the 32 bits oft the GPIO and there is no room for LV and FV signals. Am I right? IS there an efficient way to configure the device given the above video parameters?

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hello,

Please see the attached images. When using 16-bit interface (Capture0.png), the data lines are GPIO[0:15] whereas when using 32-bit interface (Capture1.png), the data lines are GPIO[0:15], GPIO[33:44], GPIO[46:49]. Please hover on the GPIO number displayed to see the complete list of GPIOs used as the data lines.

Also, when using 32 bit interface, make sure that the LD_DATA_COUNT, LD_ADDR_COUNT in the GPIF II waveform are changed to 4191 (as per the documentation of AN75779).

Best regards,
Srinath S

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
SrinathS_16
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hello,

FX3 can transfer video data of the mentioned resolution and frame rate. The pixel data can be transferred through the DQ lines and the other GPIO pins of FX3 can be used for FV and LV signals. Please refer to the AN75779 for reference.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes

Hello Srinath,

I understand your answer, but still there is something that bothers me. I actually started with the AN75779 (before posting the question). There is no example of 32 bit interface. I installed the GPIF II designer and tried to build 32-bit interface by myself, but when I define data bus width as 32, it remains 16 on the diagram, using only GPIO 0:15 lines. Why is that? What am I doing wrong?

It is essential for me to be sure here. We started  to evaluate this thing (video transfer over USB UVC) with a device of your competitor and run into problems due to unclear documentation and lack of proper support. I need to be sure this time...

Thanks

0 Likes

Follow - up on the above. I am reading various application notes regarding the FX3 device, and I've found this one - AN65974. It mentions reference design targeting XILINX SP601 evaluation board. I have this board in my possession and I would be really happy to get this reference design. Where can I find it? Thanks in advance

0 Likes

Hello,

The AN65974 application note implementation uses a FX3 SuperSpeed Explorer Kit along with the Xilinx SP601 evaluation kit. The FX3 SuperSpeed Explorer Kit schematics can be obtained from the below link.

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cyusb3kit-003-ez-usb-fx3-superspeed-expl...

The interconnect board: http://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cyusb3acc-005-fmc-interconnect-board-ez-...

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes

Hello Srinath,

I understand about the boards.I was asking about the XILINX FPGA design which is running on the SP601 board. Where can I get it?

Thanks

Yan

0 Likes

Hello Yan,

Below link contains the schematics of the SP601 board.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/xtp051_sp601_schematics.pdf

The code for the FPGA used comes with the application note and can be found in the below directory.

<Installation Path>\AN65974\FPGA Source files\fx3_slaveFIFO2b_xilinx

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes

Sorry for a possibly stupid question installation path of what?

0 Likes

Hello,

Sorry for not mentioning. It's the path in which you extract the AN65974 files.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes

OK got it now. Stupid question it was. I just had the PDF, I missed the archive right next to it. Thank you. I think I have now everything to start working on it.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hello,

Please see the attached images. When using 16-bit interface (Capture0.png), the data lines are GPIO[0:15] whereas when using 32-bit interface (Capture1.png), the data lines are GPIO[0:15], GPIO[33:44], GPIO[46:49]. Please hover on the GPIO number displayed to see the complete list of GPIOs used as the data lines.

Also, when using 32 bit interface, make sure that the LD_DATA_COUNT, LD_ADDR_COUNT in the GPIF II waveform are changed to 4191 (as per the documentation of AN75779).

Best regards,
Srinath S

0 Likes