Hard reset Vs Soft reset

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
trsoc_3997646
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Service desk,

1) What are the functional differences between issuing hard reset to RESET_N pin Vs soft reset using USB->Reset().

2) Also, How to apply "CPU only Reset" or "Whole device reset" using the soft reset mechanism?

Thanks,

Trinath

0 Likes
1 Solution
Rashi_Vatsa
5 likes given 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Edited: 2) For implementing the soft interrupt reset you can refer to

Implementation of Soft Reset in FX3 family devices

Hi,

1) - A hard reset is initiated by asserting the Reset# pin on FX3. All I/Os are tristated during a hard reset. However, that the on-chip bootloader has control after a hard reset  and it will configure I/O signals depending on the selected boot mode.

- In a soft reset, the processor sets the appropriate bits in the PP_INIT control register. There are two types of Soft Reset:

CPU Reset – The CPU Program Counter is reset. Firmware does not need to be reloaded following a CPU Reset.

Whole Device Reset – This reset is identical to Hard Reset.

The firmware must be reloaded following a Whole Device Reset.

2) For implementing the soft reset you can refer to Implementation of Soft Reset in FX3 family devices

Regards,

Rashi

Regards,
Rashi

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Rashi_Vatsa
5 likes given 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Edited: 2) For implementing the soft interrupt reset you can refer to

Implementation of Soft Reset in FX3 family devices

Hi,

1) - A hard reset is initiated by asserting the Reset# pin on FX3. All I/Os are tristated during a hard reset. However, that the on-chip bootloader has control after a hard reset  and it will configure I/O signals depending on the selected boot mode.

- In a soft reset, the processor sets the appropriate bits in the PP_INIT control register. There are two types of Soft Reset:

CPU Reset – The CPU Program Counter is reset. Firmware does not need to be reloaded following a CPU Reset.

Whole Device Reset – This reset is identical to Hard Reset.

The firmware must be reloaded following a Whole Device Reset.

2) For implementing the soft reset you can refer to Implementation of Soft Reset in FX3 family devices

Regards,

Rashi

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes