USB-C DRP Source/Sink functionality

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MaP_4480101
Level 1
Level 1

I have a USB-C peripheral device that will act as a charger for a mobile phone or laptop. The peripheral requires a modest amount of power (e.g., much lower power than what it delivers to the connected device) to operate. In the interest of keeping a single connector design and eliminating the need for a battery on the peripheral, is it possible to source and sink power simultaneously through a USB-C DRP port? If not, is it possible to tap off VCONN for peripheral bias?

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted
0 Likes
4 Replies
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted
0 Likes

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the quick response and ref. design links.

While both of the links demonstrate the capability of using the CCG3PA for DRP applications (both source/sink through a USB-C port), I don't believe either discuss using the port as a source AND sink at the same time.

The south chip link clearly states that the "portable external battery ... stores charge when connected to a charger and later delivers charge to an attached device".

The Qorvo link looks more promising (perhaps the USB PD controller can manage what I am looking for) but it is not clear to me whether bidirectional, simultaneous power paths are possible.

To return to my original question, it seems that VCONN, can be used as a supply to the peripheral after the CC has identified polarity. See the following link: https://www.silabs.com/community/mcu/8-bit/knowledge-base.entry.html/2016/09/26/what_s_the_role_ofc-..., number 2.

It seems in either role, the host device should be capable of providing a small amount of power to the peripheral.

Thoughts?

0 Likes

Ping.

Can anyone confirm that the I/F can be configured so the PD sink can be the VCONN source?

Thank you.

0 Likes

Hi ,

VCONN SPEC is below:

pastedImage_1.png

If your design support VCONN, you can follow this SPEC. And CCG3PA can support it with external MOS FETs.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes