Reference design to charge USB Type-C device from dumb 20V supply

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
jast_4281081
Level 1
Level 1

My goal is to create a very low-cost converter that charges a USB Type C device from an existing 20V DC supply. My converter will have 20V input and USB Type C output. The device to be charged will then plug into my converters USB Type C output. I expect the hard part to be the analog power converter, which I can do. So, I am looking for a low-cost controller that will do the negotiating with the device to be charged and send control signals to my power converter circuits. If it matters, the device to be charged is capable of consuming the full 100W. However, I presume there is a trade-off between cost and power output. I should also mention that the device being charged is a laptop or something similarly beefy that expects to be a host normally.

Please direct me to a reference design for how to use a Cypress chip to charge a USB Type-C device from a steady voltage supply. Ideally, easy-to-understand documentation about the cost trade-offs between a 15W "Type-C only" solution vs. a full "Type-C PD" 100W solution would be included.

If a reference design is not possible, I would love a brief introduction as to how to achieve something like this. For example, do I need to create a host down-stream facing port (DFP) or can I get everything I need in a simpler/cheaper EMCA controller? If I create a DFP, then I hope I don't need an EMCA even if I want the full 100W.

0 Likes
1 Solution
RajathB_01
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hello,

I would suggest you to use our EZ-PD CCG3PA port controller for this application.

Please take a look at these documents:

Getting Started with CCG3PA

Hardware Design Guidelines

CCG3PA part CYPD3175-24LQXQ will provide a DFP that can deliver upto 100 watts. You can either make the DFP a receptacle (which requires an EMCA with 5A rating for 100W, to be connected externally), or a captive cable (plug end) whose rating will have to be taken care of by the manufacturer for 5A continuous current.

Go through this reference design to get an idea on how CCG3PA is used in a power adapter.

Regards,

Rajath

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
RajathB_01
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hello,

I would suggest you to use our EZ-PD CCG3PA port controller for this application.

Please take a look at these documents:

Getting Started with CCG3PA

Hardware Design Guidelines

CCG3PA part CYPD3175-24LQXQ will provide a DFP that can deliver upto 100 watts. You can either make the DFP a receptacle (which requires an EMCA with 5A rating for 100W, to be connected externally), or a captive cable (plug end) whose rating will have to be taken care of by the manufacturer for 5A continuous current.

Go through this reference design to get an idea on how CCG3PA is used in a power adapter.

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes