I would like to use the CCG3 from Cypress in the following application:
- CCG3 shall perform PD management for UFP port with Power Sink (our box acts as a docking station, that charges laptops)
- CCG3 shall control the PS8742 MUX (FLIP, CE_USB, CE_DP) depending on Alt Mode, Pin Assignment C,D shall be supported
- CCG3 shall control the DC-DC converter via GPIOs (1 out of 4 possible power contracts)
- CCG3 shall implement a Billboard Device
- Optional: CCG3 shall implement an HID device
Please let me know how it is possible, we ordered a CCG3 Eval kit, arrives soon.
CCG3 can support all of your requirements listed above. And you can refer reference schematic from the link:
From above schematic, you just need deleted USB MUX and wire DP/DM from Type-C receptacle to CCG3 DP/DM directly for billboard.
Meanwhile, you can use firmware example in CCGx SDK, https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-pd-sdk-v302-ccg2-all-applications-ccg3...
CCG3 Eval kit is not 100% suit for your requirements, since the CY4531 is for Power Dual Role and DisplayPort Source. So that the DE MUX PS8740 is not suit for your design, as you know, you need PS8742B.
Thank you for the response. I checked the ref schematic, do we still have 4 x GPIOs for the variable DC-DC control ?
Thank you in advance
Yes. You have more than 4 GPIO if you refer the reference design.
Can you help us in finding the proper Firmware template for the design above, and help us to customize it for our purpose ? Thank you.
I studied the SDK sample firmware projects, and found, we need a combined one, because firmware for DP sink + variable power source.
With DP sink, there are power consumers or Charge-through samples. Do you have a dedicated Firmware tamplate/sample for our design ?