hcd file for BCM20706A2

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
XiHa_3441776
Level 1
Level 1

I am now using CYBT-343026-01 module on my board. I would like to play the module just as the HCI module. What is missing now is to load the correct hcd file to get it work. Could anyone tell me how to get it? The default device name on the module is BCM20703A2.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi xha_3441776​,

From what I understand, you want to use CYW20706 as controller and trying to connect from an external host, right?

You can use CyBluetool (Windows Installer) or ClientControl for the same to send commands to the controller.

Please refer /20706-A2_Bluetooth/doc/WICED-HCI-Control-Protocol.pdf for commands and theory.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
14 Replies
SheetalJ
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 500 likes received

Hi xha_3441776​,

I guess you want to put the board in HCI mode to program it further.

You can achieve this by recovering the board using recovery procedure.

• Press and hold the Recovery button (SW3).
  • Press and hold the Reset (SW2) button for 1 second.
  • Release SW2
  • Release SW3

If you just want to generate hcd file for some particular application, then use make target with parameter DIRECT_LOAD=1.

For example,

demo.audio.headset-CYW920706WCDEVAL DIRECT_LOAD=1 build

This will generate hcd file in Build folder in WICED Studio.

0 Likes

sorry, it's not what I would like to do. Normally there is a patch file(hcd file) for the radio to be downloaded so that the radio could work correctly. I don't need such hcd file for any particular application.

0 Likes
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

The device inside the module is a CYW20706

0 Likes

Yes. I need the corresponding hcd file.

0 Likes

sorry. I could already put the device BCM20703A2 in HCI mode. But normally the device should be downloaded with a hcd file at the beginning of the initialization. Otherwise it could not work properly. For example if the device tries to find other devices, it could find nothing.

0 Likes

Hello,

I feel there is some misconception.

Once you put the device in HCI mode, there is no need to download it with any hcd file. You can directly program the device with required application and start working.

One method to put device in HCI mode is programming it with a non-BLE project like gpio. Otherwise, there is no need to download a 'particular hcd file' at the beginning of initialization.

Hi,

it's interesting. After I initialize the bt Radio and then send hci inquiry, I could not see that the device works properly. Because I could not find any devices in the near.

0 Likes

Can you tell which application you are downloading in the board?

Put the device in HCI mode (recover), program the device with proper application (lets say hello_client), you should be able to see nearby Bluetooth devices.

0 Likes

I am using the Cypress applicaiton or Cypress bt stack on the module. We are using another BT stack on our host Controller. We are trying to communicate to the bt radio with our stack.

Could you tell me what we should do if we just want to initialize the bt Radio? In other words, which hci command sequences should be sent to the bt radio to make it work properly?

0 Likes

SheetalJ_96

sorry, just ignore the answer before. I am not using the Cypress applicaiton or Cypress bt stack on the module. We are using another BT stack on our host Controller. We are trying to communicate to the bt radio with our stack.

Could you tell me what we should do if we just want to initialize the bt Radio? In other words, which hci command sequences should be sent to the bt radio to make it work properly?

0 Likes

Hi xha_3441776​,

From what I understand, you want to use CYW20706 as controller and trying to connect from an external host, right?

You can use CyBluetool (Windows Installer) or ClientControl for the same to send commands to the controller.

Please refer /20706-A2_Bluetooth/doc/WICED-HCI-Control-Protocol.pdf for commands and theory.

0 Likes

Hi,

I have already read this document. But we don't need such WICED-HCI-Control-Protocol. We could communicate with the bt Controller over some hci commands such as HCI_RESET, HCI_READ_LOCAL_NAME, HCI_READ_BUFFER_SIZE, HCI_HOST_BUFFER_SIZE and so on at the beginning. But after that if we send HCI_INQUIRY, we could not get any inquiry result from the controller. 

Could you check it again if this Controller really doesn't need the patch file(hcd file) to get it worked properly?

0 Likes

There is no such patch or hcd file for making the board work correctly.

0 Likes