Connecting two CYW20719 with Bluetooth Classic

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Jede_4569591
Level 1
Level 1
First like given

Hi,

I cannot find any documentation or questions on connecting two boards with Bluetooth Classic.  This seems like a pretty basic use case, so I think I am just missing something. Can someone point me towards some documentation, or towards an example project? I am looking to connect with the Bluetooth Classic SPP profileand I am using the CYW920719Q40EVB-01 evaluation boards.

I have successfully run the examples in the WICED SDK as well as Cypress Academy's WB101 Bluetooth class on github.

Thank you for the help.

0 Likes
1 Solution
NRCH
Level 1
Level 1
Welcome!

I found that using "hci_audio_gateway" demo as client and "spp" snip as server, I was able to connect two CYW920719Q40EVB-01 to each other using SPP. Use the host "ClientControl" app to configure the connection by the spp-tab.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
AnjanaM_61
5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA 5 questions asked

Hi,

WICED ACADEMY also contains lab manual which describes SPP. I hope you are using WICED SDK . Attached WICED ACADEMY files of old release compatible for WICED SDK . Please refer to WBT101-06A-ClassicBluetooth-Basic doc in lab manual folder as well as the projects in Ch06a . For 2 Way SPP , refer to project ex02_key_Spp2Way in ch06a folder.

Regards,

Anjana

Hi Anjana,

This project adds TX and RX capability to one board for the SPP Bluetooth Classic profile.

Is there an example that connects two CYW920719Q40EVB-01 evaluation boards with Bluetooth classic? I can't seem to find one.

Thank you for the help!

0 Likes

The examples provide an SPP server, but I am looking for an SPP client

EDIT: or rather a Bluetooth classic client

0 Likes

Hi,

In BT classic , we provide options for profile level of connection , rather than a BLE GATT level connection. Which means depending upon the BT classic profile you want to use , we can give you directions.

We do not have any examples for BT classic master. In BT classic you need to start inquiry and paging process to establish a connection and communicate. As mentioned above , there is only profile level of connection APIs available for 20819.

For example , suppose you want to use SPP profile, you may try below steps for Master side:

1. Start an inquiry if peer device address is unknown . API wiced_bt_start_inquiry (check wiced_bt_dev.h file for API details)

2. inquiry scan call back will list all the peer BT classic devices

3. You can send a pair request to the concerned peer device if needed . API wiced_bt_dev_sec_bond

4. You can send SPP profile level connection Spp connect . Check API wiced_bt_spp_connect in spp_lib.c

Thanks,

Anjana

0 Likes
NRCH
Level 1
Level 1
Welcome!

I found that using "hci_audio_gateway" demo as client and "spp" snip as server, I was able to connect two CYW920719Q40EVB-01 to each other using SPP. Use the host "ClientControl" app to configure the connection by the spp-tab.

0 Likes

I find it crazy that there's no example to connect two boards, thanks for your input. Can you offer more insight to how you used the ClientControl app?

0 Likes

Hello. I connect the device with "hci_audio_gateway" to my PC using UART. The ClientControl app should detect the HCI UART port and you can connect to the device. Since there is AG, GATT and SPP support the tabs should be enabled for control in the program.

If you select the SPP-tab you will be able to connect to the SPP service, but first you will need to connect to the device running the "spp" snip application. Under "BR/EDR Discovery" press "Start" to probe for BT devices and select the "spp test" device. Then press "Connect" in the SPP-tab.

You should start to recieve a small amount of data periodically which will be displayed in the "Recieve" text field as hex values. That is pretty much it.

0 Likes