Simple UART over Wireless for Wicked Smart (BLE)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Community,

I'm looking for the most simple way to get started with BCM20737. Is there any ready-made F/W (or example code) I could use to achieve the following on BLE:

• Two MCUs talking to each other using a wired UART => replacing the wires with a BCM20737 (BLE Mode and UART Interface) on both sides.
  • Configure/do special tasks (Pairing, control TX Power...) on the BCM20737 using AT commands or similar.

Any hints? Before I was using a HM-11 BLE module which worked in this way and was good for prototyping. But now we are looking for a more advanced and pre-certified module for the first badge of our product.

Thanks for your help!

Paul

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you mwf_mmfae, David!

The ACKme looks perfect if it supports true AFH (ndutton), (see Discussion here). On a first look is not mentioned in their documentation but I will figure out.

Best,

Paul

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

On the Broadcom side, we do not have anything in the form of a premade application that transitions you seamlessly from a wired MCU configuration to one that replaces the wire with Bluetooth.

The PUART is the one you would want to use as the HCI UART is for programming only.

The two PUART apps we provide in the SDK are uart_firmware_upgrade and puart_control.

jakewtorres also put together some simple SW here which may be helpful: Connecting an external board to the BCM2073X via the PUART

If you need something with a less steep learning curve, you may want to look at the ACKme Bobcat (ndutton) and Anaren (airlinepilot_md) development kits as they are much better suited to perform something like this off the shelf.

There are numerous threads related to changing Tx power and Pairing.  Most of the pairing information you need is provided within the sample apps.

david_armour

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you mwf_mmfae, David!

The ACKme looks perfect if it supports true AFH (ndutton), (see Discussion here). On a first look is not mentioned in their documentation but I will figure out.

Best,

Paul

0 Likes