PSoC 5 EETIMES article and CAN status

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just read the article about "HW/SW co-development (with finally some emphasis on software)" written by Mark Saunders from Cypress. Nicely done!

Mark is using a PSoC 5 and on page 3 / figure 4 he refers to CAN implementation. Then I checked CAN component in a sample project and was surprised by an "obsolete" watermark.

Can somebody from Cypress (Mark?) can shed some light into the CAN mystery?

0 Likes
10 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey,nice article..thanks for the link!

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

The CAN component has been removed in the production silicon of PSoC5. So the article might be based on the ES1 prototypes.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Oh, what was the reason for that decision? Licences? Issues?? Prices???

CAN is (here in europe) widely used and it is a must in ever truck and truck-trailer (ISO 11898). 

Bob

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

As far as I understood there were hardware problems which could not be corrected in time. So the CAN component would not have been reliable enough. Same happend to the SAR ADCS (speed reduced, and some constraints added) and the boost converter. The component are avilable with the old Creator 1.0 and ES1 revisions of the chips. But I havent used CAN on them, so I cannot comment on the issues.

0 Likes
markgsaunders
Employee
Employee
50 sign-ins 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored

I didn't know that article had been published yet! Glad you enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, we had to remove CAN from the PSoC 5 devices we are releasing right now because the implementation failed a certification test and we could not work around the problem. My article was written before I knew about that - sorry for the mis-information.

We're working on new chips right now that will have CAN but, for now, it is not available on PSoC 5.

-- Mark.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Thank you, glad to hear that!

Bob

0 Likes
HuEl_264296
Level 5
Level 5
First like given 25 sign-ins First solution authored

Have you thought of trying to implement UDB based CAN? This would be a potential work-around. It would also mean being able to have dual-CAN on devices when they eventually get working CAN.

0 Likes
OlPe_282281
Level 2
Level 2
Welcome! 10 replies posted 5 replies posted
hli posted on 01 Jan 2012 12:35 PM PST
Top Contributor
111 Forum Posts

As far as I understood there were hardware problems which could not be corrected in time. So the CAN component would not have been reliable enough. Same happend to the SAR ADCS (speed reduced, and some constraints added) and the boost converter. The component are avilable with the old Creator 1.0 and ES1 revisions of the chips. But I havent used CAN on them, so I cannot comment on the issues.

---------------------------------

From where do you have this information? I wasn't able to find them.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

This was more about the SAR ADC than the CAN component. Both were mentioned in another thread, but I cannot find it right now. But yfs confirmed the CAN problems.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

Funny thing - i just noticed that the thread in question was actually this one 🙂 So just scroll up to yfs' comment.

0 Likes