Announcements
IMPORTANT: Cypress Developer Community is transitioning on October 20th. To learn more and be prepared for this change, check out our latest announcement.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSoC Creator & Designer Software

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Today I received CY8CKIT-049-41xx PSoC 4 Prototyping Kit and installed PSoC Creator 3.3.0.410. Then I selected "Flash_Example01", compiled it and tried to download to the kit. A window "Select Debug Target" pops up, but it is empty. I cannot select anything.

What should I do to populate that window as it shown in the help file?

Regards

Alex

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, I just realized that CY8CKIT-049-41xx does not have debugger at all, it is only a bootloader in PSoC and USB-UART bridge. No worries.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, I just realized that CY8CKIT-049-41xx does not have debugger at all, it is only a bootloader in PSoC and USB-UART bridge. No worries.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Expert II

Welcome in the forum, Alex and greetings to Down Under!

I hope you are not too disappointed having no debug capabilities with your Prototype board, but that's exactly what the name says: Good (and cheap) to construct and build a prototype. For development I would suggest using a Pioneer Kit CY8CKit-042 or a CY8CKit-044 (more hardware on chip and board) . The very cheapest solution could be to buy a CY8CKit-059 and use the snap-off KitProg as programmer/debugger for your -049 board.

Bob

JobinT_31
Employee

Adding one more kit to the suggestion CY8CKIT-043 PSoC® 4 M-Series Prototyping Kit

Thanks

JOBIN

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Expert II

Yeahhh, I waited for that!!

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I guess I'm not the only one that's had this problem.

My son gave me the cy8ckit-049-42xx kit.  Today I got psoc creator 3.3 and went to town.

The com seems to be ok, and no code errors.  But, if  I switch the led speed by pushing the button on power up, I have the same results.

I can't seem to change the program in this thing for the blinky.  All I get stuck at is debug target ?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Expert II

Welcome in the forum! I must admit that I gave my son a prototyping kit, not the other way round 😉

You cannot debug the CY8CKIT-049-4xxx prototyping kit. It has got a bootloader pre-programmed and a snap-off USB interface. This $4 kit is just what the name says: good for building a (already debugged) prototype. For a Cypress kit for developing you will have to spend a little bit more money, but it pays off: Get a CY8CKIT-043 which has some more capabilities than your kit, including a snap-off programming and debugging part named KitProg. You may even use this KitProg for debugging your original CY8CKit-49-42xx.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for sharing this information with me.  The hardest part is getting started, and this is not my first failure.  In the 70's, I was taking care of the equipment at Rockwell making the 6502.  I got the AIM-65 with an extra 1K, and I'm thinking I was good to go.  Well, the internet was not very good, and if you don't know machine code, the book was no help. I screwed this thing and a power supply to piece of plywood.  I got as far as adding 1+1 before throwing it in the trash, plywood and all.  Today, hitting a brick wall is not the end of the road.  Thanks!

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Expert II

Yeah, times have changed since...

Today you can program anything into a $2 chip which has got more capabilities than my first IBM360 which took $2,000,000 a year just for the air condition. Fortunately that was paid by the government and not by me...

I can assure you: You can get anything you want (not from Alice's restaurant) with a PSoC, just a question of the interface to the outer world, this you have to provide yourself soldering some sensors and actuators. Everything else will fit into PSoCs.

Bob

0 Likes