Bug - GPIO not connected correctly

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

So the image is my top design, I'm using PSOC creator 4.2 and play around with CY8CKIT-059 kit. I want to have the PWM output at pin 1.7. However if I only wire the output of the SR flip-flop to pin 1.7 or any pins from port 1 it will not have any output after counter is started. Chain a dummy output pin from port 3 seems allow the pin 1.7 to output, but now I have another output which I don't really want. I think this is not an intended behavuour and there should be a bug causing this, but I'm not sure where the bug is. Right now I just have to deal with a unintended output. Any ideas and suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi starkgj,

I can reproduce the issue. For a quick solution, I reduced synthesis optimization:

pastedImage_0.png

With this setting, I was able to remove the additional pin. Drawback is that the hardware ressources aren't optimized, so the design will be bigger.

I suggest that you open a support ticket about the issue and keep us updated about it.

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

starkgj18,

On KIT-059 Port 1 is somewhat special, as some of its pins are used for debugging and normally blacked out in Pins Tab. Pin 1.7 is not one of those pins. Anyway, try to change: in Design Wide Resources->System->Programming/Debugging->Debug Select set to GPIO instead of SWD+SWV.

It is easier to review the whole project. To post a project do: (1) Build->Clean; (2) File->Create Archive bundle->Minimal; (3) In created archive delete a jumbo folder "Generated_Source".

There is a standard PWM component (which has same core as the Counter), is there a reason to make custom PWM from the Counter?

/odissey1

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thank you for the advices. The reason I did not use the standard PWM component is because I need a 32 bit counter for the PWM, while the built-in PWM component only have 16 bits maximum.

I tried to switch the debug config to GPIO and it did not fix my problem. Actrully the same problem exist for some port 0 GPIOs as well.

I just added the project file to this topic, try take a look. Don't worry about the UART code, you should see a square wave on pin 1.7 and pin 3.6. Then if you remove pin 3.6, the output on pin 1.7 is gone as well. Thank you!

0 Likes

Hi starkgj,

I can reproduce the issue. For a quick solution, I reduced synthesis optimization:

pastedImage_0.png

With this setting, I was able to remove the additional pin. Drawback is that the hardware ressources aren't optimized, so the design will be bigger.

I suggest that you open a support ticket about the issue and keep us updated about it.

Regards

0 Likes

starkgj18,

I was not able to open the project in Creator 4.2. Try to re-upload.

On the other hand, you are using output Pin with enable, which actually occupies 2 pins and has some limitations on placement. Instead, use AND gate combining the Control Register and PWM output and standard output Pin. Set pin to Strong Drive mode also.

/odissey1 

0 Likes