Which PSoC device has most resources for implementing Verilog?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Jweaver
Level 3
Level 3
25 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins

I think the device with the most UDB's has the most resources for implementing verilog-  would that be Psoc 5LP ?   It seems Psoc 6 devices don't use much in the way of UDB's from what I see in one of the datasheets.   Is that a correct assessment?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

JWeaver,

The PSoC devices with the most UDB resources are the PSoC3 and the PSoC5LP with 24 UDBs.

The PSoC6 has at most 12 UDBs.

If you are looking to create a commercial product, you may want to consult Infineon about their product plans for the future.

Beside the current IC shortage issues, most companies will determine if a product variant is worth continuing to manufacture.  

It is my understanding at Infineon does not have any plans to enhance the PSoC3 or PSoC5LP product lines.  However, I do not have any information about part obsolescence.

I recommend you speak to an Infineon rep about if any part you may chose is classified as "Not recommended for future designs".

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

JWeaver,

The PSoC devices with the most UDB resources are the PSoC3 and the PSoC5LP with 24 UDBs.

The PSoC6 has at most 12 UDBs.

If you are looking to create a commercial product, you may want to consult Infineon about their product plans for the future.

Beside the current IC shortage issues, most companies will determine if a product variant is worth continuing to manufacture.  

It is my understanding at Infineon does not have any plans to enhance the PSoC3 or PSoC5LP product lines.  However, I do not have any information about part obsolescence.

I recommend you speak to an Infineon rep about if any part you may chose is classified as "Not recommended for future designs".

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
GuGa_1322886
Level 4
Level 4
5 solutions authored 25 sign-ins First comment on KBA

Hi Jweaver,

Before you commit to use PSOC 5LP make sure that the device you will select for production is actually available in the market. I tried to buy just a handful of them but there was none to be found, not even evaluation modules from Cypress or anybody else. I just happen to have a module from before and start working on it, but I had to abandon it, move over to PSOC6 and start again. That was about six or eight weeks ago, maybe they are now available. Just check to be sure.

My hard learned lesson in this unusual times: buy first, develop later.

0 Likes
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hi @Jweaver,

As Len mentioned PSoC 5LP is the device that has the maximum number of UDBs available.
PSoC 5LP devices and PSoC Creator is still a supported development environment. That being said, the newer devices (PSoC 6) will be supported in ModusToolbox and it is unlikely that any enhancements or new features will be added to PSoC Creator.  

There are certain PSoC 6 devices that are supported in both PSoC Creator and Modustoolbox and also have support for UDBs. 

You can refer to the following link on Cypress Lead time for different products: https://www.cypress.com/documentation/other-resources/cypress-semiconductor-leadtime-guide

Best Regards
Ekta

0 Likes
Jweaver
Level 3
Level 3
25 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins

Thanks everyone for your answers;  I will continue to work with the psoc 5LP 

0 Likes