cy8ckit-059 usb uart driver problem with windows 8.1

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DaVi_4379521
Level 1
Level 1
First like received

project is known good and works on a Windows 10 box.

On Windows 8.1 box w/ creator installed I have a driver error no driver loads.

Error Pictured:
CypressUSBUART01.PNG

On a Windows 10 box (no Cypress Creator/Programmer suite installed), the USB UART driver automatically installed with no problem.  It's using the Microsoft USB to Serial driver.  Pictured here:
01.JPG

0 Likes
1 Solution
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hello Daniel,

You can download Microsoft Certified USB UART Driver from the link below and try using it on Windows 8.1

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/microsoft-certified-usb-uart-driver

Also, please have a look at the thread: Use of the Cypress Microsoft Certified USB UART Driver​ which mentions that:

"For Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 you cannot use the PID 0003 for the USB-UART example project for PSoC. It will be good if you use the PID as 0008 instead to bind your device".

Best Regards

Ekta

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hello Daniel,

You can download Microsoft Certified USB UART Driver from the link below and try using it on Windows 8.1

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/microsoft-certified-usb-uart-driver

Also, please have a look at the thread: Use of the Cypress Microsoft Certified USB UART Driver​ which mentions that:

"For Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 you cannot use the PID 0003 for the USB-UART example project for PSoC. It will be good if you use the PID as 0008 instead to bind your device".

Best Regards

Ekta

0 Likes

Success!  Thank you Ekta!

Since I already had the Cypress driver above installed, changing the VID to 8 was all it took for Windows 8.1 to automatically use the correct driver.

For anyone that comes across this thread in the future, go to your "Top Design" and select the USBFS / USB UART device.  Double-click to open configuration.  Select "Device Descriptor", and change product ID to "8".  Make sure to disconnect the USB device otherwise the new PID won't reflect in device manager. (at least for me, you may also have to right click > uninstall device on the old USBUART driver).

Interestingly enough, the default is "F232", which I suppose is an ode to the FTDI F232 chipset?

cyp02.PNG

If you like, after flashing and connecting via USB, you can verify inside Windows Device Manager.cy01.PNG

0 Likes