Resistive Touch ADC Config

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Day!

Is it possible to configure the resolution of the internal ADC (SAR)?  Based on the API, the output of the ADC is placed into a 16 bit signed int, but it is unclear what the actual resolution of this ADC is.  Is it possible to get any insight into this and is it possible to specify the resolution - to say 10 or 12 bits?

Thank you!

Kyle 

0 Likes
6 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum!

What do you want to increase the resolution for? Having a finger resolved with 12 bit accuracy? You cannot put 4096 fingers side by side onto yor resistive surface. A higher resolution will probably not increase the performance.

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Yes, ADC_SetResolution() API in datasheet.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Its not unusual for R TS to be 4K x 4K resolution, signature capture, fingerprint capture, etc..

Just google TS technologies, and capabilities/applications. Or look at Cypress TS solutions.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dana - This function exists in the SAR-ADC component datasheet.  As I understand it, the resistive touch component is itself a black box with its own API.  I may be completely wrong about that and if so I'd love to learn more!  The best I found was a macro definition of the ResistiveTouch_1_ADC_CFG1_RESOLUTION, which seems should work for my purposes.

@Bob - Thank you for the welcome and I completely agree!  I have do desire to increase the resolution of the ADC, but more to specifically define that resolution.  I can't find any explicit definition in the datasheet for the Resistive Touch (ResistiveTouch_v2_0.pdf) ADC resolution, nor any method for purposefully defining it.  I've poked around and found the definition that might suit my purposes just fine, though.  I was just curious if there were a more formal way to do this, not that a definition is terribly informal!

Thank you all!

Kyle

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Kyle,

I just went through the datasheet and I must admit that there is no mention about the resolution to be found. Could be worth creating a MyCase to get a Cypress statement on that topic.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
0 Likes