I2C - Limit

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guys,

Regarding CY8C3866LTI-068 - can I use all the I/O pins for I2C or is there a certain number of limit of using I2C peripheral?

Thanks,

Red

0 Likes
8 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

From the module datasheet -

Regards. Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dana,

Thank you very much for your prompt and useful response. I apologize if I confused you on my previous question. But what I want to know is what is the numbers of limit of I2C or how many I2C peripherals I can use? e.g CY8C3866LTI-068 - How many I2C peripherals it can provide? only 2? I2C1 + Any? Since CY8C3866LTI-068 doesn't have I2C0. Or I can use all the GPIO/SIO and make these pins an I2C peripherals?

Thanks. Red

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Redz,

For PSoC3, there is one fixed function I2C that is available. You can use as many UDB based I2Cs until you run out of the total UDBs in the device.  With regard to pins, any number of GPIOs can be used for I2C but these GPIOs cannot be used to wakeup the device on address match.

Thanks,

srim

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

You can use both a fixed-function I2C, or an UDB-based I2C implementation. If you use the latter, it will consume 2 UDB datapaths and 33 UDB macro cells per instance (for an I2C master - the I2C slave needs 1 UDB and 25 MCs). This would allow you to hve 5 UDB-based Master-I2C components in your design (the CY8C3866LTI has 24 UDBs, with 2 PLD each, with in turn 4 macro cells in each PLD, which results in 192 MCs overall).

So you should be able to use up to 6 I2C components. But note that there are functional and performance differences between the fixed-function and UDB-based implementations. Look up the documentation for the I2C component for more details.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Since I2C is a bus you will have several different slaves connected to a single master. Each slave must have its own address to distinguish them from each other.

So it seems to be a bit unlikely that you need more than two I2C masters in a single PSoC.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Theoretical limit on I2C is 1008 nodes. But this is dependent on buss

C loading effects on timing. There are also leakage considerations in

very large busses.

A useful reference - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%C2%B2C#Physical_layer

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes