Re-install PSoC Creator USB drivers?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Been using PSoC Creator with a CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A Bluetooth® Low Energy 4.2 Compliant Pioneer Kit successfully for a number of months now but inadvertently un-installed the USB drivers and so now get this error message when trying to program the kit:

PSOC Creator Error dbg.M0023

There was an error while programming the device: failed to reacquire the device

I re-downloaded:  CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A Kit Only (Kit Design Files, Documentation, Examples)

and tried to do a "Repair".

Also tried re-downloading the Programmer 3.26 and also selecting "Repair" but I still get the error message.

Please, what is the procedure to just re-install the USB drivers?   Hopefully I will not have to Un-install/Re-Install everything just to get the USB drivers back.

Many thanks in advance.

0 Likes
12 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since you uninstalled the drivers without uninstalling the PSoC Creator, my guess would be that the USB drivers are now dissociated with the PSoC Creator after you repaired/reinstalled the drivers. Try finding a setting in the creator that chooses what/where/how to connect to the programmer device, and see if re-associating the correct drivers fixes the issue?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried Debug/Select Target and Debug... as well as Debug/Attach to Running Target... but still get the error message:

Error: dbg.M0023: There was an error while programming the device: failed to reacquire the device.

after attempting to program the device.

Also tried un-installing/re-installing the Programmer instead of just selecting "Repair".

Do I have to un-install/re-install PSoC Creator to get the drivers back?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Believe the problem is KitProg is not installed. Have un-installed/re-Installed CY8CKIT042BLEAKITSetupOnlyPackage_RevSA with the kit plugged/unplugged from the USB port but when the plugged back into the USB port the operating system responds with:

KitProg(E:) Select to choose what happens with unknown content.

How to re-install the KitProg?

0 Likes
himam_31
Employee
Employee
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Kitprog is part of the PSoC Programmer. Can you uninstall and install PSoC Programmer.

Thanks,

Hima

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Hima,

Thanks but I have tried un-installing and re-installing PSoC Programmer over and over but KitProg is still not back up. Have tried doing just a "Repair", a complete un-install with a "Typical" re-install, then a complete un-install with a "Complete" re-install, even tried shutting the PC off in between un-install and re-install.

Kind of a nightmare actually

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you uninstall the PSoC Programmer, are you ensuring that you don't have any other versions of the PSoC programmer installed? (Using OS tools to double check, and visually checking the folders etc.)

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good point. Before un-installing Programmer, it shows up under Cypress in the Windows 10 Start menu. After un-installing Programmer is no longer listed in the Start menu. I also uninstalled any reference to Cypress KitProg in the Device Manger/Universal Serial Bus Controllers but there must be something left that is telling the Programmer installation program that KitProg is already installed because it never shows it installing KitProg like it did the very first time it was installed originally.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I know what may have happened.  Last I recall I had held this Pioneer board reset button down to suspend operation temporarily, reading the users guide i see that causes the board to enter some kind of bootloader mode.

I opened Programmer and connected to this Pioneer board but then the Utilities/Upgrade Firmware button was grayed out.

Does anyone know how to re-program the KitProg firmware on this Pioneer board?

0 Likes

If you press the Reset button on kit for more than 5sec, the Kitprog enters into the mass storage mode.

Details about this phenomenon is given at page#14 of this Kitprog User Guide(topic  "Enter or Exit the Mass Storage Programmer Mode"is  mentioned)-

http://www.cypress.com/file/157966/download

Once the Kitprog exits the Mass storage mode you can upgrade the Firmware from PSoC Programmer.

The kitprog hex file will be present at this location in your system-

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\Programmer

The kitprog driver will be present at this location in your system-

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\Programmer\drivers

0 Likes

It s quite old post, but may be useful-

PSoC 5LP Programmer Firmware | element14 | Cypress Kits

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found the procedure in the KitProg users guide in section 8.2 to "Restore PSoC 5LP Factory Program Using PSoC Programmer" and also "Restore PSoC 5LP Factory Program Using Bootloader Host Tool".   Tried one then the other, now not only is the Pioneer board still not recognized but now the application firmware appears to be gone as well. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello and thank you all for that excellent information.  While gathering additional information I noticed LED 2 Status on the Pioneer board was blinking at 1.053Hz and according to the Pioneer board users guide I believe that was an indicator that the board was somehow still in bootloader mode, so while attempting to measure the LED blink frequency I held down the reset button for an extended period of time, then the PC began to recognize the KitProg and loaded the drivers.

I can now program the board again from Creator and all is well

Perhaps the procedure in the KitProg users guide should be updated to let people know they need to do that extra step to complete re-flashing the KitProg firmware as I just happened upon it inadvertently.

Again thank you all so much for responding.