Programmer for PSoC 4

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

The kit has the PSoC 5LP as a programmer and debugger. User guide tells about building projects for PSoC 5LP and how to restore the original functionality of PSoC 5LP. This is very nice.

The interesting part is, if I have the PSoC 5LP(same part as that on kit) and build a board with the schematics provided, I can build my own programmer for PSoC 4. We can then use this programmer to program and debug any PSoC!!! I guess!!!

0 Likes
38 Replies
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Whats more interesting: Can the PSoC4 board be used to program other PSoCs like the 5/5LP?

(The Pioner kit is not much more expensive than buying a PSoC5LP in single quantities, so it doesnt' make so much sense to rebuild it from single parts)

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

See the table in section A.4 towards the end of the Pioneer Kit User Guide document - it documents what resistors you would need to short in order to use the onboard PSoC 5LP to program an external PSoC 4 (only PSoC 4 supported currently).

Warning - keep in mind to regain programming ability to the onboard PSoC 4 you will need to re-solder the shorted resistors.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

I knew that it would be possible to program external chips - I was wondering whether it would be possible to program e.g. a PSoC5...

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

being able to program external chips is always usefull for someone just starting with a new platform.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HLI -

the PSoC 5LP on the Pioneer Kit currently only supports programming a PSoC 4 device - onboard, or external.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

walking softly ....

not trying to hijack the thread and not trying to break any forum etiquette. if so, please delete, and i apologize.

we are working on a sub $20 KIS-SWD programmer that should be back from PCB house next week. initial target will be PSoC4 and then rapidly add PSoC5LP.

other cool things also in pipeline. i will elucidate if asked to.

-Ed

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome. At such low price point it is usually hard to include proper protection and buffering, I hope you managed to get it good.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

When you "don't want to hijack the thread", why do you do it in the end? Why not just opening a new one instead? No-one reading the question starting this thread will supsect the announcement of a project some pages down...

(This it not a complaint about announcing a project, but about the habit of adding unrelated stuff to threads...)

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

As hli mentioned, more people would see your project if you start a new thread. could you post a link so people can see that as well.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        I'm quite Interested in Programming Options - especially as there is no programmer/debugger for PSOC4 advertised anywhere.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        P.S. No one is hijacking a thread marked "Programmer for PSOC 4" by announcing a project to do just that. I want to hear more about using Pioneer not just to program (bootloader my @$$) but to debug as well. If I wanted a platform that didn't allow step through debugging and variable interogation - I'd use an Ardweeny.   
0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

The Pioneer board does do debugging via use of PSOC 5LP on the board -

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Forum post crashed, see attached -

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Rubicon.   
if you want a professional engineering programmer/debuger with full debugging capabilities that is convenient, has all the bells you can ask for and that you know will work you will be better buying the cheap Miniprog3.   

If by the other hand you are on a budget you can buy the Pioneer kit and will get a programmer/debuger for really cheap. There is always a trade off.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Can the Pioneer program any PSOC4 part or just the same exact model that comes with the kit?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi twistx77   
It seems can programming external PSoC4 via internal PSoC5LP   
By using PSoC4 programming header   
It has SWDIO, SWDCLK, XRES..   
These are can use not only internal but also to external PSoC   
But one problem, How to avoid internal PSoC4   
So It can say, Difficult   
Will you try this?   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        How to kill the internal PSoC4   
According by schematic of Pioneer Kit,   
When off J13 and R6 is not loaded,   
The PSoC4 seems will not have Vdd   
But voltage supply will do via programming-signal-wire   
So, still Difficult, I don’t know if do not try.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi PSoC73,

I think that it is easier than that. Just take J13 off. It seems to desconnect P4_VDD which is the PSoC4 supply. If that doesn't work you could just desolder R32, R33, and R34.

Anyway, that is not my question. I Just wanted to know if the Pioneer could program another PSoC4 different from the CY8C4245 or if at least it could program a CY8C4245 with another package. I think it can but I will have to try it.

If anyone knows if it can. Please let us know.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Ah Man, "desolder R32, ... " Noway   
I won't be broke such a lovely Pioneer Kit   
Anyway, I tried to do programming to external PSoC   
but wasted, internal PSoC4 still alive.   
Thank you   
0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

Actually, the Pioneer kit documentation states, in appendix A4, what to do for programming external PSoCs (namely, removing R32/33/34)

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've tried removing the R32/R33/R34 and connecting them (SWDIO,SWDCLK,XRES) to an external PSoC. (Also 3.3V and GND). And it detects the MCU but it says that it is been used by another client. I know it detects it because once I desolder one of the cables it doesn't detect it.

I've attached an image. 

Anyone know what can be happening?

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable
        I saw same situations and   
this is similar error message   
this programmer is dedicate to PSoC3, FX2 USB type programmer   
the programmer might be check silicon ID   
it is not for help.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

No one can give me any help or hints on this matter? Does anyone else have programmed a External PSoC4 using the Pioneer?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am interested also to program an external PSoC4. Anyone of you have managed to do this ?

BR,

Daniel

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to program a different PSoC4  part using the Pioneer Board 🙂

After making the hardware rework I tried programming from the Creator UI, but it would not allow. (Got the same error)

Tried from the Programmer and it programmed without issues.

I have now soldered 2 jumpers across R32 and R33 and am able to use the kit  as well as program external part!

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

CY8CKIT-049 to Program Another PSoC® 4 - KBA93541 Using the 4 dollar PSOC kit.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Here is a link to the KBA: www.cypress.com/

Bob

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

CY8CKIT-049 to Program Another PSoC® 4 - KBA93541

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

sorry about the duplicate posts I didn;t see the first one !!

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure if I can resurrect this thread back.  I am tying to program a external PSOC4 using Pioneer BLE kit as shown in attached image.  But the external PSOC is not getting detected.  I am using 1.8 V on the external PSOC. Any pointers on how I can program?  Thanks a lot for your responses.

-Gitesh

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

The Pioneer board runs afaik at 3.3V or 5V (selectable) and the hardware hack is designed to power the target board. I think, you should get hands on a MiniProg3 to get your PSoC4 programmed.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot Bob.  This was of great help.  Can we use  CY8CKIT-049 - http://www.cypress.com/knowledge-base-article/using-cy8ckit-049-program-another-psoc-4-kba93541 

Esp for 1.8V?

-Gitesh

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

I get a 404 error, try for yourself...

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure why the 404 error - I am putting the link again in quotes - "http://www.cypress.com/knowledge-base-article/using-cy8ckit-049-program-another-psoc-4-kba93541 (you may have to copy link and then paste in browser, clicking on links lead to 404)".  Also a pdf of same article is attached.  If not directly then by using some kind of level translator such as https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11771 between the FTDI and PSOC part of the kit. Thank you...

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

The hacked board together with the needed script looks a little bit complicated.

I would suggest you to get hands on a CY8CKIT-059. The snap-off part is a programmer and debugging interface operated directly from Creator working at 5V, so you will still need your level-interface.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot Bob, this is interesting.  But to get hold of this  CY8CKIT-059 it will be a bit longer lead time which I may not be able to afford but I might get a FreeSOC2 (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13229).  Any idea if that would work with level translator?

-Gitesh

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Sorry, but no experiences with the sparkfun board, but I question if it is remarkably smaller than the -049 prototyping kit or if it can be used to program another PSoC.

You may give Cypress India a phone call to get a -059 prototyping kit and see how long it will take them if urgent.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Bob, will do that.

-Gitesh

0 Likes