Changing the Find Me profile to provide 4 alert levels instead of 3

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am writing my own android application and I want to send 4 alert levels to the blue tooth module instead of 3. How can I modify the BLE component so I can do that?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Patrick,

As @hli pointed out, Find Me is a BLE SIG defined profile and it's definition cannot be changed. So, you can work only with 3 alert levels.

If you want to implement your own Find me with 4 levels, you can develop your own custom profile/services, which are profiles/services defined by you. You can check out the application note AN91162 for details. Do note that with custom profiles, you need to develop your own interface/App/GUI to recognize the profile and communicate over it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

I think you cannot - the alert levels are defined in the service specification for the alert service. But you can look into the generated source code and check how the levels are created, and change that.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Patrick,

As @hli pointed out, Find Me is a BLE SIG defined profile and it's definition cannot be changed. So, you can work only with 3 alert levels.

If you want to implement your own Find me with 4 levels, you can develop your own custom profile/services, which are profiles/services defined by you. You can check out the application note AN91162 for details. Do note that with custom profiles, you need to develop your own interface/App/GUI to recognize the profile and communicate over it.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great thank you for the information.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can create a custom profile which could simulate a Find Me Profile. You can create a GATT server with custom profile and then the client could send indexes from 0-4. The server could then simulate a Find Me based on the received index.
For testing, you can send different commands from PC CySmart tool and based on the command received, you can change the frequency of an LED thereby simulating different alerts.

Anonymous
Not applicable

BMAH,

I am trying to control a motor (RC car) sending 4 signals ( Forward, backward, left , right) as 0,1,2,3.  I created a custom profile but cannot make the server simulate a Find me. On the characteristic (Motor Control) value, how do I create a pull down menu to accept all those different alert levels like the Find Me application does?. This is the case statement code I am using for the custom declaration in case you care to comment:

case CYBLE_EVT_GATTS_WRITE_REQ:    

/*When this event is triggered, the peripheral has received a write command on the custom characteristic */
/* Extract the write value from the event parameter */
         wrReqParam = (CYBLE_GATTS_WRITE_REQ_PARAM_T *) eventParam;

/* Check if the returned handle is matching to Motor Control Client custom configuration*/

if(CYBLE_ROBOT_SOTINO_MOTOR_CONTROL_CHAR_HANDLE == wrReqParam->handleValPair.attrHandle)
        {
        carcontrol = wrReqParam->handleValPair.value.val[CYBLE_ROBOT_SOTINO_MOTOR_CONTROL_CHAR_INDEX] ;
        }

break;

Thanks a lot

PY

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Patrick,

You cannot create a Pull Down menu for the custom characteristic in the BLE component. Best approach for your application is to have the server send commands in firmware for the 4 options. The client can then decode them to move in the correct direction. Please have a look at:

http://www.cypress.com/blog/100-projects-100-days/project-047-psoc-4-ble-accelerometer-controlled-ca...

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

BMAH,

Thanks for the info and the reference design. It seems very similar to what I am doing.

Patrick

0 Likes