CY8CKIT042 BLE vs not BLE

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I already have a CY8CKIT042 (not BLE) and some CY8CKIT049.

If I buy a CY8CKIT-143 PSoC 4 BLE 256KB Module, will I be able to program it with a kit I already have? 

Can I do something like what described in this article: 

Using the CY8CKIT-049 to Program Another PSoC® 4 - KBA93541

Thank you very much.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

The miniprog3 is pretty useful if you are wanting something to program a large number of cypress chips

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum, Stefano.

Safest is to buy a CY8CKIT-043 Prototyping kit and using the snap-off programmer for programming and debugging your PSoC target.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Bob, I see you are a top contributor, means you know a lot about PSOC. I like your idea, I hope to be good enough. Have you already tried? I saw in cypress website that says: "If the EZ-BLE PRoC Module and a switch (SW4) is added to the board,  KitProg can program and debug that module as well", but I never see any picture or example of this. I'll try anyway. Thx

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The miniprog3 is pretty useful if you are wanting something to program a large number of cypress chips

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you e.pratt, I wanted to choose a cheaper solution, I'm an hobbyst I'll not plan to program a large number of chips, but knowing me I think before or later I'll buy miniprog3 anyway. 😉 Do you use it? 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been using it at work and it is pretty handy! It has the capability to power the chip on-board for the purposes of debugging/developing battery-powered devices (rather than running through dozens of batteries during development). 

As Bob mentioned, it also has various programming options for the various chips. I tend to use the Reset personally, but that is specifically because I've been working with an on-board battery, which wouldn't allow a power cycle obviously.

Especially as a hobbyist, I would (personally) pick this up over the other options as it is pretty easy to use and configure for the various chips I tested with.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

There are modules you cannot program using the kitprog but with the miniprog3 only: All PSoCs that haven't got (due to small pin count) an XRes pin need to use a method named "Power Cycling" which cannot be performed by the kitprog.

Bob