Bootloader query on PSOC4

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NIRA_4397796
Level 1
Level 1
First like given

We are using PSOC 4 (4245AXI-483) in our application.

Till now we didn’t required the bootloader in our application but now onwards we must require it.

We have gone through various documents and datasheet related to Bootloader and Boot loadable application building.

We have also build the two different projects one is the bootloader project and boot loadable project and compiled it successfully.

Now as per the document AN73854 Located at : https://www.cypress.com/file/45346/download

Page number 20 and Point number 5, It describes that if we need to load the bootloader and boot loadable application simultaneously, then we need to “Create a boot loadable project, associate it with the bootloader project, and build it. Program its .hex file (which contains both bootloader and boot loadable) into the target PSoC device using an HSSP programmer such as

MiniProg3.”

Questions:

1. Here how would we associate the project to bootloader project and which .hex file to be loaded in factory mode programming.???

1. How can I load both (Bootloader & Boot loadable hex files individually) or combined .hex file through miniprog3??

Note : We already added the dependencies of the bootloader .hex file in boot loadable part.

Please revert us back with your suggestions and next steps.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi,

Bootloadable .hex files are different in that they contain code and data bytes for the bootloadable and the associated bootloader project. Bootloadable gets the bootloader project's hex file from dependency selected in bootloadable componenent configurarion window. Once you program the bootloadable.hex file; both projects are programmed in at the same time. This option is provided for production programming. Let me know if it helps.

Regards

Alakananda

Alakananda

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Alakananda_BG
50 likes received 250 sign-ins 250 replies posted

Hi,

Can you please refer to the below document section 9.2 and let us know if you have any queries.

https://www.cypress.com/file/140961/download

AN84858 -PSoC 4 Programming Using an External Microcontroller (HSSP)

Regards

Alakananda

Alakananda
0 Likes

Thanks for your reply.

As per the document, it is possible to upgrade the firmware of PSOC4 device using the PSOC 5LP part and it is only available with the standard ProKit provided by Cypress. In Our case, we are not using any ProKit or Development kit provided by Cypress we are not able to do so.

We have the only PSOC 4 device in our Hardware and we need to load the Bootloader and Boot loadable application hex files simultaneously into PSOC 4.

Is there any other way to do so? Without use of external Host programmer??

can't we load the .hex files without erasing complete flash?? i.e. we should load the two different hex files each starting from different location of the flash.

Please provide your valuable feedback.

0 Likes
NIRA_4397796
Level 1
Level 1
First like given

As per the document AN73854 Located at : https://www.cypress.com/file/45346/download

Page number 20 and Point number 5, It describes that if we need to load the bootloader and boot loadable application simultaneously, then we need to “Create a boot loadable project, associate it with the bootloader project, and build it. Program its .hex file (which contains both bootloader and boot loadable) into the target PSoC device using an HSSP programmer such as

MiniProg3.”

So where can I find that .hex file (which contains both bootloader and boot loadable) ??

0 Likes

Hi,

Bootloadable .hex files are different in that they contain code and data bytes for the bootloadable and the associated bootloader project. Bootloadable gets the bootloader project's hex file from dependency selected in bootloadable componenent configurarion window. Once you program the bootloadable.hex file; both projects are programmed in at the same time. This option is provided for production programming. Let me know if it helps.

Regards

Alakananda

Alakananda

Thanks ....Understood..It helps me to understand overall functionality.

0 Likes