BLE UART

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ViTi_1549261
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

Hi, I am going through a BLE UART example project

https://github.com/cypresssemiconductorco/PSoC-4-BLE/tree/master/100_Projects_in_100_Days/Day020_BLE...

​I compiled and programmed a central and peripheral sides and print message log from both devices is printing the Device role, low power mode and flow control information.

But connection between the devices are not made.

How should I start troubleshooting  this?

I have tried to power the board at same time and pressed reset button after a while on both devices, simultaneously and separately.

0 Likes
16 Replies
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Ville: The instructions do not mention the Dongle but you must use it to get this to work. Also the LED on the Pioneer board should be Blue and not Red. I used Putty and it worked with fine I was able to get the displays that where in the PDF.  Also you can not use flow control with the USB UART.  Make sure that the Print message log is not  commented in the main.h. Also you need a terminal program like Putty or some other terminal program for the Dongle and the Pioneer board. 

0 Likes
ViTi_1549261
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

Instructions mentioned that "UART_to_BLE_peripheral” must be programmed to BLE-USB Bridge. And “UART_to_BLE_central” to Pioneer Kit. And that's what I have done.

When I start the Pioneer Kit, red LED starts to blink indicating that it is starting the scanning. Blue LED should start blinking when connection is established, but that does not happen to my case.

I am using Teraterm and problem is not on there.  I am seeing text printed on both terminals as mentioned on first post. Print messages are not disabled and flow controls are disabled.

Could the connection problem be related to Bluetooth services or CyBLE component configuration? I revived the CyBLE component configuration on both firmware's and and saw that there is differences on services available and their UUID's does not match.

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

Send me your project and I'll try it out on my equipment.

0 Likes
ViTi_1549261
Level 3
Level 3
First like received
0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
        I have the project files. I want your files to Chek them.   
0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
        Sorry I see you have sent them in the dropbox.   
0 Likes
ViTi_1549261
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

What files exactly you mean?

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

I have tried the original program and it works and get text on windows but it does not appear in each window as stated in the .pdf file.  So I will have an engineer at Cypress check this out and I will get back to you next week.

0 Likes
ViTi_1549261
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

OK so it's same on your test than mine.

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

Yes but I do get text and all the rest of it seems to work blue lock light is also working.  I think this would work best on two different computers one  with the dongle and one with the Pioneer kit. Sorry about the response time but the New Year's holiday will impact the response. Also I tried it out on Psoc Creator 3.3 and it works but I had to update the components.

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

Dear Ville Well after some discussion with the Cypress Engineers I have the fix for your issue. Please turn off the Local Echo on each of your terminal windows and that will fix the issue. I have tried it on my boards and they are working as expected.  They are also going to fix the document to add fixes that where not clear or incorrect.  Thanks for bring this to our attention.

0 Likes
ViTi_1549261
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

On my setup turning local echo on and off does not help. In fact I have had local echo off all the time.

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
        I have not tried your program just the original one. I'll try your programs and see if I get the same functionality as the original program.   
0 Likes
ViTi_1549261
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

I tried also the day 24 Throughput example from git hub and not able to get connection between two applications. No connection to CY-smart PC-app either.

But my HW seems to be OK because I am able to run examples that I got my local FAE. There connection is established without problems on these applications.

0 Likes
ViTi_1549261
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

Hi Bobgoar,

Did you test my programs? are they working on your setup?

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

Ville I just tried your programs and they work Okay.  You said that you can't see this in CYsmart app on the cell phone this is normal as the boards are paired and you will not see anything on the Cysmart app unless you run it from the computer. It may be that you have an issue with the Ble module or the Dongle.  You said that you tried #24 of the 100 projects in 100 days Ble.  This reprograms the Dongle and you must reprogram it back to normal operation. See the instructions to do this on page 10 of the PDF file for the #24 program.  That may be your issue.  Also Cypress is updating the PDF file for #20 to fix some documentation issues.

0 Likes