sensing distance for a plasma cutting machine

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
luisji
Level 4
Level 4
100 sign-ins 50 replies posted 50 sign-ins

Do you have a solution for sensing distance in the range of 0-10 cms with a precision of +- 1 mm, but able to work in a plasma cutting machine?   

The porpouse is to compensate sheet deflections due to the heat that plasma generates (near 400 Celsius) on the surface being cutted, but in a very noisy electromagnetic environment, as the plasma flame is an electric arc modified with a high pressure air flow. 

I've tryed with inductor sensors and they fail when cutting thick metal sheets.  I suppose that capacitive fails too.  I've not tryed with ultrasonic, but it is possible that the plasma generate too some noise of this kind. 

So, if you have a probed solution on this, I'll be happy to know about it.

Luis

0 Likes
1 Solution
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

louisji,

I would try either optical or 10+ GHz microwave range finder solutions. For example LaserPING 2m Rangefinder

There are a low-cost 0-100cm range finders based on parallax (not TOF), which may suit. For example SHARP triangulation sensor 

You may also consider a stereoscopic camera and JETSON processing module for real-time image processing, which becomes popular nowadays.

I don't believe that electrostatic method will work in harsh environment, such as plasma cutting.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

louisji,

I would try either optical or 10+ GHz microwave range finder solutions. For example LaserPING 2m Rangefinder

There are a low-cost 0-100cm range finders based on parallax (not TOF), which may suit. For example SHARP triangulation sensor 

You may also consider a stereoscopic camera and JETSON processing module for real-time image processing, which becomes popular nowadays.

I don't believe that electrostatic method will work in harsh environment, such as plasma cutting.

0 Likes