Read MAC address to print

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
dapec_2125461
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to use openocd to read the MAC address of the module?  Our customers need a barcode label applied to the module to use it as a means of registering their device in their system.

0 Likes
1 Solution
GauravS_31
10 questions asked 250 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

Your question is not clear. Are you specifically looking for OpenOCD command to read the MAC address of the device even before the application is run? Please clarify.

You can use the function wwd_wifi_get_mac_address( &mac, WWD_STA_INTERFACE ) in the application code to obtain the MAC address. Then run the debugger and use breakpoint debugging to find the MAC address in the variables table.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
GauravS_31
10 questions asked 250 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

Your question is not clear. Are you specifically looking for OpenOCD command to read the MAC address of the device even before the application is run? Please clarify.

You can use the function wwd_wifi_get_mac_address( &mac, WWD_STA_INTERFACE ) in the application code to obtain the MAC address. Then run the debugger and use breakpoint debugging to find the MAC address in the variables table.

0 Likes

Yes.  Before the application is run.  I was hoping I could use OpenOCD to read the specific location in memory that the MAC address is stored in and print it out.  My other option is to program the application into the device and read the MAC address from the debug port that we are using.

0 Likes

AFAIK, MAC address is programmable and does not stick to a particular chip.

However, if you work on chips with STM MCUs there is unique ID for each chip.

I haven't tried this before, but you may be interested :

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:g4nmOFyvb_MJ:https://techoverflow.net/blog/201...

Similarly MCU internal flash can be read as well (assume you know the position in DCT) :

Is it possible to get the device ID through JTAG? [SOLVED] - Firmware - Particle

Please kindly share your results, appreciated.

Thank you.