7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2017 3:18 PM by will_2270411 Branched from an earlier discussion.

Re: How to use Particle.io's Photon as a WM-N-BM-09 evaluation tool (part 2)

chucklink

wartix_fr chobberoni  jone_yi_1844281

s a follow on to this discussion: How to use Particle.io's Photon as a WM-N-BM-09 evaluation tool

I am wondering if you have done careful analysis with Photon board.  I have finally gotten reasonably stable code with my product and I've built a few quite a few beta units but it appears that i am still struggling with the RF performance of the Photon module.  Many of my beta users apparently can't see their wireless access point.  After rechecking with the basic snip-scan code and both my BCM943362WCD4 and BCM94343W_AVN, I find that the Photon board has significantly different RF receive characteristics.  I actually thought I was over this hump, but it is back again.  I now think that maybe I've not enabled the RF switch on the board because the difference is about 40 db.  Can you run the same test or have I made a mistake in my coding.

Thanks,

Chuck

• 2. Re: How to use Particle.io's Photon as a WM-N-BM-09 evaluation tool (part 2)
          chucklink

You can see on their community that I've asked this before when I first discovered the problem and I got no concrete answers.  Carefully scouring their community forum I found several references to problems and I've done the things suggested without success.  I have seen references to the RF switch being wired wrong and many other sensitivity problems.  I am not sure that community has outsiders who have tested other Wiced boards and really know how sensitive some of the eval boards are.  I know that early on I saw a few problems described that seem to me to be the exact same problem I am seeing...a direct result to the sensitivity I am seeing.  I actually think it might be my error but I can't find the problem and I've tried everything...hence the question above.  Maybe someBay else smarter than me has tested or fixed the problem.

• 3. Re: How to use Particle.io's Photon as a WM-N-BM-09 evaluation tool (part 2)
            jone_yi_1844281

We only build the WiFi module for Particle!  And we did not own the photon of Particle!

The support of Photon should be issue to Particle!

• 4. Re: Re: How to use Particle.io's Photon as a WM-N-BM-09 evaluation tool (part 2)
              chucklink

I know that well.   I know exactly what you Cypress (once Broadcom) does and I respect every bit of it.   Your team has created a fantastic product and a development environment that is beyond belief and unmatched in the Industry.

My hope was to use a pre-approved module to get my product on the market before I switched to a USI device itself.  It looks very much like I will check out the alternative Redbear Duo board now to see how the RF performs.  I want to minimize SW and HW changes and higher costs.

Thanks again, and don't worry, I love the devices and tools you guys have created.  I am satisfied with everything Wiced, Broadcom and now Cypress have done.

(I assume you are with Cypress and not USI)

Best Regards and GO Clemson!

Chuck Link

M2MD Technologies, Inc.

404-713-0063

• 5. Re: How to use Particle.io's Photon as a WM-N-BM-09 evaluation tool (part 2)
                will_2270411

Hey there chucklink

My name is Will, and I'm a GM at Particle. Post or PM me your original thread link in the Particle forums and I'll see if I can get you an adequate answer. We are not aware of any systematic RF issues with the Photon. The Photon has been tested and certified by RF labs using both the on board chip antenna as well as the external u.FL connector.

I look forward to helping you with the issues you're experiencing.

Will

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 6. Re: Re: How to use Particle.io's Photon as a WM-N-BM-09 evaluation tool (part 2)
                  chucklink

Good Afternoon Will,

Nice to meet you.

These are the original posts on the threads that I was part of and one that I’ve seen on the problem.

https://community.particle.io/t/photon-wifi-range/16735

https://community.particle.io/t/solved-v0-4-4-rc-3-antenna-select-weirdness/14360<https://community.particle.io/t/connection-unstable-wifi/21717>

I have not had the time to go in and and play some of the game that others have mentioned.  Specifically, I’ve seen posts that say that the external switch is wired wrong.  I feel like I am doing something wrong, but apparently nobody on the Cypress/Wiced Forum has responded that they are having similar problems.

Strangely the Broadcom BCM943362WCD4 board and the Avnet BCM4343W don’t exhibit the sensitivity problems that I am seeing with the Photon Boards.  I am using the SNIP/SCAN app to measure the results.  I’ve installed known good external antennas without success in the lab but my plans were to use the onboard antenna.  The eval boards have adequate sensitivity.

I would rather make the Photon board work as I have quite a few of them either deployed or on-hand, but right now I am trying to get my code and hardware ready to go with another board.  Please save me the effort.  I have 18 months into a project that I can’t afford to waste.

• 7. Re: Re: How to use Particle.io's Photon as a WM-N-BM-09 evaluation tool (part 2)
                    will_2270411

Thanks for the links to the relevant community posts. All of the original posts, however, are over a year old and reference now resolved bugs with the antenna selection firmware API that have already long since been resolved.

Scanning through the other comments in the posts, I'm not seeing anything that sounds like confirmation of the issues you're seeing from another customer. We've verified the RF frequency response of the Photon with independent professional testing labs, so I can assure you there is no systematic electrical design issues with the Photon that would result in degraded RF performance.

jone_yi is correct in that Particle, not Cypress, is likely the right party to help you resolve these issues. If you'd like to create a new post on our forums with information about the RF issues that you're seeing, I'm more than happy to ensure that you get adequate support. Please post a link to the issue when you've created it and I'll follow up internally with our engineering team to ensure that they're aware of the post.

1 of 1 people found this helpful