1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2018 7:50 AM by axel.lin_1746341

SDK-3.7.0: Set scan_mode = BTM_BLE_SCAN_MODE_PASSIVE has no effect

axel.lin_1746341

Hi,

To test BTM_BLE_SCAN_MODE_PASSIVE and BTM_BLE_SCAN_MODE_ACTIVE:

I set

.scan_mode = BTM_BLE_SCAN_MODE_PASSIVE;

I expect .scan_mode = BTM_BLE_SCAN_MODE_PASSIVE should not receive BTM_BLE_EVT_SCAN_RSP data.

But still receive data with BTM_BLE_EVT_SCAN_RSP (p_scan_result->ble_evt_type == BTM_BLE_EVT_SCAN_RSP).

Note, I remember it was working in SDK-3.5.x.

kask

SDK-3.7.0-7 is not yet release, so I cannot test it. Maybe your team should test this issue.

[The test_active_passive_switch() call implement is wrong in my previous post, so I just remove it and re-post.]

• 1. Re: SDK-3.7.0: Set scan_mode = BTM_BLE_SCAN_MODE_PASSIVE has no effect
          axel.lin_1746341

What is the correct steps to switch ACTIVE/PASSIVE scan mode at run time?

Should I stop scanning before changing scan_mode setting?

wiced_bt_dev_status_t wiced_bt_ble_observe (wiced_bool_t start, uint8_t duration, wiced_bt_ble_scan_result_cback_t *p_scan_result_cback);

I'm wondering if set WICED_FALSE as first parameter of wiced_bt_ble_observe() means stop.

For wiced_bt_ble_scan() I seem don't find the API to stop it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: SDK-3.7.0: Set scan_mode = BTM_BLE_SCAN_MODE_PASSIVE has no effect
            axel.lin_1746341

axel.lin wrote:

kausik

SDK-3.7.0-7 is not yet release, so I cannot test it. Maybe your team should test this issue.

[The test_active_passive_switch() call implement is wrong in my previous post, so I just remove it and re-post.]

kask

Now I can confirm that SDK-3.7.0-7 has the same issue.

Even I set .scan_mode = BTM_BLE_SCAN_MODE_PASSIVE I still got BTM_BLE_EVT_SCAN_RSP type data.

• 3. Re: SDK-3.7.0: Set scan_mode = BTM_BLE_SCAN_MODE_PASSIVE has no effect
              axel.lin_1746341

axel.lin wrote:

axel.lin wrote:

kausik

kausik

Now I can confirm that SDK-3.7.0-7 has the same issue.

Even I set .scan_mode = BTM_BLE_SCAN_MODE_PASSIVE I still got BTM_BLE_EVT_SCAN_RSP type data.

kask jayi jact

Just for your reference:

I found this issue only happens when using wiced_bt_ble_observe() but does not happen if using wiced_bt_ble_scan().

Hope this is helpful for debugging and fixing the issue.

• 4. Re: SDK-3.7.0: Set scan_mode = BTM_BLE_SCAN_MODE_PASSIVE has no effect
                kask

Hello Axel,

This was discussed internally a while back - I will dig up the thread and respond tomorrow.

regards

/kausik

• 5. Re: SDK-3.7.0: Set scan_mode = BTM_BLE_SCAN_MODE_PASSIVE has no effect
                  axel.lin_1746341

kausik wrote:

Hello Axel,

This was discussed internally a while back - I will dig up the thread and respond tomorrow.

Hi kausik,

Thanks.

Please also let me know what is the correct steps to switch scan_mode.

I have read the BT/BLE related APIs in the header files.

However, all the example code includes in the sdk seems assume the scan_mode is set before init BT stack.

It's not clear to me if it's ok to run-time switching scan_mode.

i.e.

Is it necessary to stop/restart scan after switching scan_mode?

Is it fine to set scan_mode and/or calling wiced_bt_ble_observe/wiced_bt_ble_scan at application thread

even the device is scanning?

A similar question is for run-time setting BLE broadcast payload.

I known the wiced_bt_start_advertisements() API, but I don't know if it's fine to call it at run-time

at my application thread especially when my device is doing scan. 

• 6. Re: SDK-3.7.0: Set scan_mode = BTM_BLE_SCAN_MODE_PASSIVE has no effect
                    prpa

Hi Alex

Below are your answers

1> To stop scan you should pass BTM_BLE_SCAN_TYPE_NONE as the first paramter for the api wiced_bt_ble_scan , i think we will document the usage in wiced_bt_ble.h

2> At run time to switch between Active/passive scan , you need to first stop the scan , change the settings of the scan mode and then call the scan

below is the test snippet

extern wiced_bt_cfg_settings_t wiced_bt_cfg_settings;

wiced_result_t restful_smart_passive_scan()

{

wiced_bt_cfg_settings.ble_scan_cfg.scan_mode = BTM_BLE_SCAN_MODE_PASSIVE;

wiced_bt_ble_scan( BTM_BLE_SCAN_TYPE_HIGH_DUTY, WICED_TRUE, scan_result_callback );

return WICED_SUCCESS;

}

wiced_result_t restful_smart_active_scan( wiced_http_response_stream_t* stream )

{

wiced_bt_cfg_settings.ble_scan_cfg.scan_mode = BTM_BLE_SCAN_MODE_ACTIVE;

wiced_bt_ble_scan( BTM_BLE_SCAN_TYPE_HIGH_DUTY, WICED_TRUE, scan_result_callback );

return WICED_SUCCESS;

}

3> when you use the above implementation you can see that only active scan will respond with scan result and not the passive scan

static void scan_result_callback( wiced_bt_ble_scan_results_t *result, uint8_t *data )

{

printf("\n recvd result type is = %d\n" , result->ble_evt_type);

}

4> wiced_bt_ble_observe : is an api that is used to scan beacons adv and scan mode switch may not have any effect, I shall test it and let you know

5> You can run Scan and ADV at the same time , kindly go through the below post which i had replied earlier may be this could be helpful

3.7.0 BLE: Simultaneous Central / Peripheral?

Sequence for simultaneous BLE Central/Peripheral

1. 1> Init the BT stack with a management callback

/* Register call back and configuration with stack */wiced_bt_stack_init( hello_sensor_management_callback ,&wiced_bt_cfg_settings, wiced_bt_cfg_buf_pools );

1. 2> In the management callback on receiving BTM_ENABLED, I register for GATT  and then start adv , and then start scan

static wiced_result_t hello_sensor_management_callback( wiced_bt_management_evt_t event,wiced_bt_management_evt_data_t *p_event_data )

{

WPRINT_BT_APP_INFO(("hello_sensor_management_callback: %x\n", event ));

switch( event )

{

/* Bluetooth  stack enabled */

case BTM_ENABLED_EVT:

// Register for GATT callback

// Start ADV

// Start Scan

• 7. Re: SDK-3.7.0: Set scan_mode = BTM_BLE_SCAN_MODE_PASSIVE has no effect
                      axel.lin_1746341

prejith wrote:

5> You can run Scan and ADV at the same time , kindly go through the below post which i had replied earlier may be this could be helpful

3.7.0 BLE: Simultaneous Central / Peripheral?

Sequence for simultaneous BLE Central/Peripheral

1. 1> Init the BT stack with a management callback

/* Register call back and configuration with stack */wiced_bt_stack_init( hello_sensor_management_callback ,&wiced_bt_cfg_settings, wiced_bt_cfg_buf_pools );

1. 2> In the management callback on receiving BTM_ENABLED, I register for GATT  and then start adv , and then start scan

static wiced_result_t hello_sensor_management_callback( wiced_bt_management_evt_t event,wiced_bt_management_evt_data_t *p_event_data )

{

WPRINT_BT_APP_INFO(("hello_sensor_management_callback: %x\n", event ));

switch( event )

{

/* Bluetooth  stack enabled */

case BTM_ENABLED_EVT:

// Register for GATT callback

// Start ADV

// Start Scan

Can I call start ADV / Start Scan at run-time in application thread rather than int the callback(e.g. hello_sensor_management_callback). My point is to run-time start/stop ADV/Scan, I'm not able to put the code in the callback you mentioned, it's in application's logic.

• 8. Re: SDK-3.7.0: Set scan_mode = BTM_BLE_SCAN_MODE_PASSIVE has no effect
                        prpa

Hi Alex

you should be able to put it any where , only pre-requisite is start scan  or ADV only after you have received BTM_ENABLED_EVT , infact the callback is implemented in application

Regarding your issue on using observe ? : Can you let me know to swich between Active/Passive if you can use wiced_bt_ble_scan instead of observe ?

Regards

Prejith

• 9. Re: SDK-3.7.0: Set scan_mode = BTM_BLE_SCAN_MODE_PASSIVE has no effect
                          axel.lin_1746341

prejith wrote:

Hi Alex

you should be able to put it any where , only pre-requisite is start scan  or ADV only after you have received BTM_ENABLED_EVT , infact the callback is implemented in application

Regarding your issue on using observe ? : Can you let me know to swich between Active/Passive if you can use wiced_bt_ble_scan instead of observe ?

Regards

Prejith

The problem of wiced_bt_ble_scan() is it cannot scan non-connectable devices. e.g. beacons/tags.

So we need to use observe API.

(honestly, other BLE stacks have no problem to support scanning non-connectable devices and also support active/passive scan switch. I think it should be supported by WICED sdk.)

• 10. Re: SDK-3.7.0: Set scan_mode = BTM_BLE_SCAN_MODE_PASSIVE has no effect
                            prpa

Hi Axel

I would like to look at your logs on 3.7.07 with the below simple changes 
                            (since the test
                            which you are trying is independent on platform you can run restful_smart_server app on BCM4343W instead of 43438 )

Below are the changes you should make ,

1> Change the wrapper of restful_smart_passive_scan

2> put a print on the restful_smart_scan_result_callback to print the ble_evt_type

3> build the app and execute the the curl command  curl -v -X GET http://192.168.0.184/gap/nodes?passive=1

wiced_result_t restful_smart_passive_scan( wiced_http_response_stream_t* stream )

{

current_stream    = stream;

scan_result_count = 0;

wiced_bt_cfg_settings.ble_scan_cfg.scan_mode = BTM_BLE_SCAN_MODE_PASSIVE;

rest_smart_response_write_status_code( current_stream, REST_SMART_STATUS_200 );

rest_smart_response_write_node_array_start( current_stream );

wiced_bt_ble_observe(WICED_TRUE,60,restful_smart_scan_result_callback)

return WICED_SUCCESS;

}

static void restful_smart_scan_result_callback( wiced_bt_ble_scan_results_t *result, uint8_t *data )

{

printf("\n recvd result type is = %d\n" , result->ble_evt_type);

XX

XX

}

Regards

Prejith

• 11. Re: SDK-3.7.0: Set scan_mode = BTM_BLE_SCAN_MODE_PASSIVE has no effect
                              rash

Hello Axel Lin,

As pert of testing we have seen in observe mode "Type:4" events which is related to SCAN. We have reproduced the issue and discussing internally for a FIX. Following is the UART debug log

[BtReader] 404040406666,-92,RAW(16) 0201060909496F542042756C62020A00

#type=4

[BtReader] 404040406666,-91,RAW(16) 0201060909496F542042756C62020A00

#type=0

#type=4

[BtReader] 404040406666,-92,RAW(16) 0201060909496F542042756C62020A00

#type=0

#type=0

[BtReader] 404040406666,-96,RAW(16) 0201060909496F542042756C62020A00

#type=4

I will let you know once we got the fix.

-Ramesh Mylavarapu

• 12. Re: SDK-3.7.0: Set scan_mode = BTM_BLE_SCAN_MODE_PASSIVE has no effect
                                axel.lin_1746341

rash wrote:

Hello Axel Lin,

As pert of testing we have seen in observe mode "Type:4" events which is related to SCAN. We have reproduced the issue and discussing internally for a FIX. Following is the UART debug log

I will let you know once we got the fix.

-Ramesh Mylavarapu

prpa rash

Okay, and thank you.

• 13. Re: SDK-3.7.0: Set scan_mode = BTM_BLE_SCAN_MODE_PASSIVE has no effect
                                  rash

Hello Axel Lin,

As a reply to my previous response, we have checked this issue and found the bug. We have fixed it and we will consolidate it in the next SDK release.

-Ramesh Mylavarapu

• 14. Re: SDK-3.7.0: Set scan_mode = BTM_BLE_SCAN_MODE_PASSIVE has no effect
                                    axel.lin_1746341

rash wrote:

Hello Axel Lin,

As a reply to my previous response, we have checked this issue and found the bug. We have fixed it and we will consolidate it in the next SDK release.

-Ramesh Mylavarapu

Great!

I'm waiting for next SDK release (for3.7.x serial).

Do you know when will the SDK available?

Axel

1 2 3 Previous Next