1 2 3 Previous Next 34 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2016 4:51 PM by axel.lin_1746341

3.7.0-3 wifi scans failing

DaveStude

Since using 3.7.0.3, wifi scans appear to not work a majority of the time anymore.

We check for if ( malloced_scan_result->status == WICED_SCAN_INCOMPLETE )  (else) as the snip.scan app does and the message never comes.

mifo

• 1. Re: 3.7.0-3 wifi scans failing
          DaveStude

I do see that most times, the success message makes it to WWD, but not to the scan result callback.

Scan result: channel=0 signal=-66 ssid=1871MEMBER2 bssid=58:97:1e:56:22:24

3241: Event (interface, type, status, reason): WWD_STA_INTERFACE WLC_E_ESCAN_RESULT WLC_E_STATUS_PARTIAL WLC_E_REASON_INITIAL_ASSOC

Scan result: channel=0 signal=-69 ssid=ATT208 bssid=30:60:23:65:22:90

3241: Event (interface, type, status, reason): WWD_STA_INTERFACE WLC_E_ESCAN_RESULT WLC_E_STATUS_SUCCESS WLC_E_REASON_INITIAL_ASSOC

• 2. Re: 3.7.0-3 wifi scans failing
            gsns

Hi,

I tried the WIFI scan  using WICED 3.7.0-3 at my end using BCM4343W avnet kit and I did not see any issue. All the APs are being scanned same as previous versions. I tried on WICED 3.7.0 and am seeing the same APs.

Can you tell which platform you are using.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: 3.7.0-3 wifi scans failing
              DaveStude

Using a custom platform.  (most similar to the WWCD2 devkit)

• 4. Re: 3.7.0-3 wifi scans failing
                axel.lin_1746341

dstudejio wrote:

Since using 3.7.0.3, wifi scans appear to not work a majority of the time anymore.

Do you mean it was working with older SDK version?

If so, please share the debug logs of both old SDK and latest SDK for comparison.

• 5. Re: 3.7.0-3 wifi scans failing
                  DaveStude

it was 100% working with 3.7.0. 

the debug logs are the same.  Each reports a set of WLC_E_ESCAN_RESULT packets that end with WLC_E_STATUS_SUCCESS. 

the difference in one case or the other is that the callback isn't informed the scan is complete.

• 6. Re: 3.7.0-3 wifi scans failing
                    axel.lin_1746341

Current 3.7.x serial SDK is not usable for us due to the BESL memory leak and other regressions.

So I'm not going to test it right now.

Will carefully verify this once I got a SDK update.

• 7. Re: 3.7.0-3 wifi scans failing
                      DaveStude

mifo any thoughts?   I notice the issue seems to occur more often when a large # of APs are present.

• 8. Re: 3.7.0-3 wifi scans failing
                        mifo

Please describe the custom platform most similar to the WWCD2 devkit.

Within this forum, we support our developer kits and to some extent those of our partners.

Are you developing with a partner module?

• 9. Re: 3.7.0-3 wifi scans failing
                          DaveStude

I wasn't aware custom designs were not supported here.  Can you direct me to a route to help support issues on here? 

I realized that the networking worker thread had a very small (16 position) queue.  the scan, being well over 16 APs, overflowed this queue and the "success" message was rejected.  I've increased the size of the queue and this now works 100%.

• 10. Re: 3.7.0-3 wifi scans failing
                            mifo

I would need to understand what you mean by custom.  All designs are custom for the most part from an application perspective.

However, the expectation here on the community forum is that you are user either our development kit and/or one from a module partner, along with a production module from that module partner as well.

So if you some how were developing with an SoC, then I would have to direct you back to the local team at Cypress that signed off on the engagement so that they could line up factory support.

• 11. Re: 3.7.0-3 wifi scans failing
                              DaveStude

thank you for response.  at this point the platform isn't important   the

networking worker thread default message queue size is 16 elements which

causes issues when scanning than 16 wifi aps.

• 12. Re: 3.7.0-3 wifi scans failing
                                axel.lin_1746341

dstudejio wrote:

thank you for response.  at this point the platform isn't important   the

networking worker thread default message queue size is 16 elements which

causes issues when scanning than 16 wifi aps.

The message queue size is not the limitation of the number of APs you can scan.

That are totally different things.

• 13. Re: 3.7.0-3 wifi scans failing
                                  DaveStude

well, each scan is sent directly to network worker thread from wwd, which

then does the callback.  when there are more than 16 ap scanned, the queue

fills and the remainder of the messages don't get queued.  for me,

increasing the message queue size helped the problem but i think a better

solution would handle any number of AP responses.

• 14. Re: 3.7.0-3 wifi scans failing
                                    axel.lin_1746341

If you want to check if it's really queue size issue,

add a debug code to the code enqueue the message so you will know

if the enqueue fails or not.

BTW, I'm sure I can scan more than 16 APs without modify the queue size.

1 2 3 Previous Next