Cannot get trace to work in IDE on OSX

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using OS X 10.11.3 (El Capitan) and SDK 2.2.2

Trace in the IDE does not work, nothing is shown in the console window when I enable traces or set the correct port manually.

Using a terminal program on the same port, traces are displayed fine (although encoded).

Can someone help to get this working, or confirm the above?

/J

0 Likes
1 Solution
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

Have you followed the instructions jaeyoung provided on the download page here: WICED-Smart-SDK-2.2.2-IDE-Installer.zip

Important installation note related to OSX/MAC and the Trace Plugin:

Please follow the steps below to change the sudo configuration for the IDE to install correctly.
If you have installed the IDE without changing the below, uninstall, go through the following and reinstall the IDE.

1. Open the Terminal on your Mac
  Command + Space
  Type terminal

2. Type the following in the Terminal
  sudo visudo

Change this line FROM:
  %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL

TO:
  %admin ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

3. Write and Quit
  :wq

Once you have gone through the above procedure and installed the IDE, you should check the trace plugin to verify the IDE has installed correctly.
Please check the WICED Smart Quick Start Guide (SDK 2.x and TAG3 Board) for information on how to view traces from your TAG3 evaluation board.

"Unidentified Developer" issue when installing this SDK on MAC/OSX:

Go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General tab

and you will see a message "WICED-Smart-SDK-2.2.2-IDE-Installer" was blocked from opening because it is not from an identified developer

-> Click on "Open Anyway"

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

Have you followed the instructions jaeyoung provided on the download page here: WICED-Smart-SDK-2.2.2-IDE-Installer.zip

Important installation note related to OSX/MAC and the Trace Plugin:

Please follow the steps below to change the sudo configuration for the IDE to install correctly.
If you have installed the IDE without changing the below, uninstall, go through the following and reinstall the IDE.

1. Open the Terminal on your Mac
  Command + Space
  Type terminal

2. Type the following in the Terminal
  sudo visudo

Change this line FROM:
  %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL

TO:
  %admin ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

3. Write and Quit
  :wq

Once you have gone through the above procedure and installed the IDE, you should check the trace plugin to verify the IDE has installed correctly.
Please check the WICED Smart Quick Start Guide (SDK 2.x and TAG3 Board) for information on how to view traces from your TAG3 evaluation board.

"Unidentified Developer" issue when installing this SDK on MAC/OSX:

Go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General tab

and you will see a message "WICED-Smart-SDK-2.2.2-IDE-Installer" was blocked from opening because it is not from an identified developer

-> Click on "Open Anyway"

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, the first solution there enabled my traces. Would've been nice to have seen that text when installing, or, alternatively, an error message, stating that the trace plugin couldn't load, or something.

There is, however, a small issue with the tracing.
I use the PUART for trace output, and was hoping I could just leave the trace on, and it would start showing when the download was finished.
But, it seems I have to Stop Debug Traces, then Start Debug Traces to get it going.

This is a bit annoying, so I will probably revert back to using an external com program to view the traces.

0 Likes