Can't Program Latest CYBLE-022001-00, EZ-BLE™ Chip

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MaFr_1406776
Level 1
Level 1

In 2017 my company manufactured 5000 adapters using the CYBLE-022001-00, EZ-BLE chip and now we are in the process of manufacturing 4000 more and have a very tight deadline.

But we have a serious issue with the programming of the chip using the MiniProg3 Programmer Rev B. We can program the 2017 chips but not the current ones. The programmer says it can’t acquire the chip. We swapped the chips between a 2017 adapter board and a current board and confirmed that it’s the current Cypress BLE chip that is the issue (old chip programs fine on the new board, new chip does not program on the old board).

The visual difference between the old and new chips is that the new one has the following below the IC number

AMATEL:

06800-19-11443

Both have the same device id (CYBLE-22001-00) and  on the green portion R-005-101007.

Sure would appreciate any help anyone can give. We need to start the programming next week.

Thanks,

Mark.

0 Likes
1 Solution
MaFr_1406776
Level 1
Level 1

Found the issue and the solution.

Our board has the STM_SWDIO and STM_SWDCLK pins connected to the Cypress BT_SWDIO and BT_SWDCLK pins. We did this to give us the ability to internally program the Cypress chip in the future.

This was not a problem with the Cypress firmware in 2017 but now is causing this issue with the current firmware. So something has changed in the current firmware which means that the current firmware is not backwards compatible. Not good. I would be very interested in knowing when and why this change was implemented and whether Cypress plans on making their firmware backwards compatible again.

Our solution was to update our firmware to disable the STM_SWDIO pin and fortunately this worked as we were not keen to cut into the board.

I'd like to give a shout-out to Cypress engineers David Durlin and Alex Manasseh for their help with this issue.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
PradiptaB_11
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi,

Can you update the PSoC Programmer version you are using. Also can you attach the screen shot for the error you are observing while using the miniprog3 with the EZ-BLE Module.

Thanks,

Pradipta.

0 Likes
MaFr_1406776
Level 1
Level 1

Found the issue and the solution.

Our board has the STM_SWDIO and STM_SWDCLK pins connected to the Cypress BT_SWDIO and BT_SWDCLK pins. We did this to give us the ability to internally program the Cypress chip in the future.

This was not a problem with the Cypress firmware in 2017 but now is causing this issue with the current firmware. So something has changed in the current firmware which means that the current firmware is not backwards compatible. Not good. I would be very interested in knowing when and why this change was implemented and whether Cypress plans on making their firmware backwards compatible again.

Our solution was to update our firmware to disable the STM_SWDIO pin and fortunately this worked as we were not keen to cut into the board.

I'd like to give a shout-out to Cypress engineers David Durlin and Alex Manasseh for their help with this issue.

0 Likes