Pioneer baseboard with BLE Module - why is max ADC result 0x7FF in 12 bit mode?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RoMa_4791621
Level 1
Level 1

I've got the CY8KIT-042-BLE-A kit and have tried 2 example projects. Both yield a maximum ADC result of 0x7FF but seems to work fine between 0-0x7FF. Simplest example I used was PSoC4_ADC_with_Differential_PreAmplifier01 and using a single ended channel.

I've got to be overlooking something simple but I've done nothing but spin wheels for hours. Here I've got adcVal[CHANNEL_4] tied to 3.3V supply. Tried both internal ref =1.024V and VDDA. no change, max ADC result is still 0x7FF.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes
1 Solution
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi Robert,

SAR ADC by architecture is differential in nature. When its single ended negative input is connected to ground, the range is limited to half of the actual range. Kindly see the following table in the ADC component datasheet.pastedImage_0.png

Now if you want 12 bit resolution, In ADC settings change the single ended negative input to Vref, let Vref be VDDA/2 so that you will cover the complete ADC range. I hope this answer helps.

Best Regards,
Vasanth

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi Robert,

SAR ADC by architecture is differential in nature. When its single ended negative input is connected to ground, the range is limited to half of the actual range. Kindly see the following table in the ADC component datasheet.pastedImage_0.png

Now if you want 12 bit resolution, In ADC settings change the single ended negative input to Vref, let Vref be VDDA/2 so that you will cover the complete ADC range. I hope this answer helps.

Best Regards,
Vasanth

This makes sense. Just making sure I wasn't missing something.

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 12:05 AM VasanthR_91 <community-manager@cypress.com>

0 Likes