Premature Battery Failure using BLE Module - Please offer recommendations to avoid.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received Beta tester First comment on KBA

Please provide recommendations to avoid premature battery failure using BLE Modules.

The issue is premature battery failure along with resetting using CYBLE-012011-00.

BLE soft component (2.10) has been updated since the project was written and programmed into fielded units.

I wasn't able to find errata showing a fix for power savings associated specifically with an update to the latest version of the BLE component, (3.30). Where else might there be a power leak? Has anyone experienced similar issues?

Thanks for your help!

The application sends out a broadcast message (beacon) every 5 minutes and then sleeps.

The current profile and the average current draw is roughly 2.9uA

I have found AN92584 - Designing for Low Power and Estimating Battery Life for BLE Applications @ https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an92584-designing-low-power-and-estimating-b... . Any additional suggestions or confirmation that updating the BLE component from 2.10 to 3.30 will improve battery life, are appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution
AlanH_86
Employee
Employee
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 solutions authored

This is almost certainly that your firmware doesn't deep sleep ... and that you are remaining in sleep or active.

These are a serious pain to debug... but you need to make sure that the chip is deep sleeping.

I have typically used a pin and an oscilloscope to look at the duty cycle of deep sleep.. write it before deep sleep and invert it when you come out... .and what I typically find is that something unexpected in system is causing unexpected by me wake ups.

Alan

View solution in original post

2 Replies
VenkataD_41
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Please note that there is no issue with the current consumption when you use new component. Please ensure that you have followed the firmware flow mentioned in the project attached with the application note AN92584 - Designing for Low Power and Estimating Battery Life for BLE Applications.

The issue is premature battery failure along with resetting using CYBLE-012011-00.

Can you please elaborate more about the issue? What is the current consumed by your present project (after updating the BLE component)?

What do you mean by battery failure? Does that mean the battery is getting discharged quickly?

The current profile and the average current draw is roughly 2.9uA

Is this value is the current consumption before updating the BLE component?

Can you please attach your project once to check once at our side?

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes
AlanH_86
Employee
Employee
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 solutions authored

This is almost certainly that your firmware doesn't deep sleep ... and that you are remaining in sleep or active.

These are a serious pain to debug... but you need to make sure that the chip is deep sleeping.

I have typically used a pin and an oscilloscope to look at the duty cycle of deep sleep.. write it before deep sleep and invert it when you come out... .and what I typically find is that something unexpected in system is causing unexpected by me wake ups.

Alan