Use the HCI UART as PUART in embedded mode

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
EdIb_4746646
Level 1
Level 1
Welcome! First question asked First reply posted

Hi,

We are planning to use the CYW20706 in embedded mode but we have only one UART available in other MCU side. Can we configure the HCI UART as normal PUART in embedded mode? I read that is possible at least to redirect the debug traces to the HCI UART but I don't know if it is possble to receive data in this mode.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
SheetalJ
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 500 likes received

Hi EdIb_4746646​,

Yes it is possible to get debug traces over HCI UART. You will have to select HCI UART for debug using wiced_set_debug_uart() function.

Are you planning to send data over HCI UART? I would suggest you to check HCI raw mode- How to Use HCI Raw Data Mode in CYW20706 - KBA225970

FYI: Re: can HCI uart able to use as normal uart?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
SheetalJ
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 500 likes received

Hi EdIb_4746646​,

Yes it is possible to get debug traces over HCI UART. You will have to select HCI UART for debug using wiced_set_debug_uart() function.

Are you planning to send data over HCI UART? I would suggest you to check HCI raw mode- How to Use HCI Raw Data Mode in CYW20706 - KBA225970

FYI: Re: can HCI uart able to use as normal uart?

Hi,

Is it possible to configure the HCI UART as a PUART and use the HAL UART APIs in the UART HCI port? For example the following ones:

static INLINE void wiced_hal_puart_write (UINT8 byte)
Print/send one byte via the TX line. More...
static INLINE BOOL32 wiced_hal_puart_read (UINT8 *rxByte)
Read one byte via the RX line. More...

In case of using the WICED_ROUTE_DEBUG_TO_HCI_UART functionality.

For write information to the TX line, the Macro WICED_BT_TRACE is used.

Which macro can I use for read the RX line of HCI UART?

Thank you

0 Likes

No you cannot use wiced hal APIs for HCI UART read-write.

To get the data on Rx line, please go through point no.2 in KBA- How to Use HCI Raw Data Mode in CYW20706 - KBA225970