Audio Streaming through CYBLE-416045-02 BLE module

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GiLi
Level 3
Level 3
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 10 sign-ins

Hi there,

I am looking into the PSoC 6 BLE module and wondering if this is capable for me to do the wireless audio, such as connected with wireless headset.

The module provides only the GATT, GAP, L2CAP and link layer profiles, i didn't see any of those A2DP, AVRCP and ACDTP profiles.

So I would like to get more detail information and/or directly to explore more of this.

Please advise.

Thank you!!

Gilbert

0 Likes
10 Replies
ShipingW_81
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Unfortunately, PSoC 6 BLE does not support classic BT, including A2DP, AVRCP and ACDTP profiles and so on.

Instead, you can find CYW BT device that meet your requirements from the following products webpage - https://www.cypress.com/products/ble-bluetooth

0 Likes

Hi ShipingW_81,

Thank you for your info.

Please help me clarify the following.

Is that mean the whole "PSoC Creator-based EZ-BLE modules" does not supports the classic BT, which are the profiles I need?

Is the "WICED-based EZ-BLE and EZ-BT modules" group that can fulfill my needs, such as the A2DP, AVRCP and ACDTP profiles?

or just the EZ-BT modules can fulfill my needs?

Please clarify and confirm.

Many thanks!!

Gilbert

0 Likes
ShipingW_81
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Sorry for late reply. The whole PSoC Creator-based EZ-BLE modules can not support classic BT. That means only WICED-based EZ-BT modules can support what your rerquire.

0 Likes
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Gilbert,

It is my understanding that BLE HW and protocol is not capable of supporting full spectrum audio (10Hz-20KHz) by design.  Having said that I have heard there as some adaptions to provide lower spectrum (<4KHz) for "phone quality" audio.

There is a movement in the Bluetooth 5.2 protocol to support Bluetooth LE Audio.  With this protocol modification, higher spectrum audio would be possible.   At this time, all of Cypress' BLE product offerings support 4.2 up to 5.1.  Future support of 5.2 has yet to be announced by Cypress.

Cypress does have classic Bluetooth (BT) chips which will support full spectrum audio.  The reason and goal for BLT is for sensor data comm where the data size is small and the occurs relatively infrequently.   This allows for the best battery saving algorithms.

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes

Hi Len,

Thank you for your explanation! Greatly appreciated!

Just noticed your reply until this late, sorry about this.

Anyway, I previously used PSoC4, as well as the BLE module. This is the reason I am looking for this capability with in the BLE.

So far, I can only find this capability in the WICED-based module as ShipingW_81 explained in the earlier message.

I was under an impression that the BLE module hardware is there, the possible and easiest approach is to include the audio portion stack into it. So I am wondering if there is any possibility to do this under the module. I really hope it is possible to see this option happen in the coming future.

Thanks again!

Gilbert

0 Likes

Gilbert,

Audio -> BLE.  Not available yet until BLE 5.2

Audio -> BT (Bluetooth classic).  Yes.

Len

Len

Thanks, Len!

I definitely will check it out when the BLE 5.2 is out.

0 Likes

Gilbert,

May I ask:  Why is your heart set on BLE instead of Bluetooth?

It might be some time before a BLE 5.2 chipset and stack with LE audio is available.   There's no data indicating whether BLE 5.2 playing LE audio will be more efficient than Bluetooth is which currently available and has been tried and tested for years.

Besides, right now, only Bluetooth audio headsets/earplugs are available for audio.   Are you going to create both the BLE transmitter AND receiver?

Len.

Len
0 Likes

Hi Len, we have other alternative and approach, so the BLE is not the concern for us now.

That's why I may take a look what can it offers when the BLE 5.2 is ready.

0 Likes

Gilbert,

Go it. 

Len

Len