CYBLE-012011 Antenna detune by epoxy potting

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
HeGi_2497906
Level 5
Level 5
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

Hello, we are nearing the end of a development effort and have resolved a ~50% reduction in RF range directly to the Epoxy Potting we are required to encapsulate our product with, due to the environment.

Here is the key question, can we use the digital capacitor array to adjust for the epoxy, in other words, is if feasible to use the digital cap trim to correct for the added capacitance of the epoxy.

This is the line CY_SET_XTND_REG32((void CYFAR *)(CYREG_BLE_BLERD_BB_XO_CAPTRIM), 0xBCBC); can you help me better understand the mechanism, and how to potentially "tweak" these values to recover our range?

Herb

0 Likes
1 Solution
VenkataD_41
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Herb,

Please note that the captrim is available only for the ECO i.e to set the frequency. So it cannot be used to tune the Antenna/RF path to recover the lost range.

You can use external power amplifier/ modify the mechanical structure of our design to improve the range.

Can you please attach some images of your board? We would like to see if we can provide some guidelines. Please refer our appnote on Antenna design guidelines from the link below:

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an91445-antenna-design-and-rf-layout-guideli...

Thanks

Ganesh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
VenkataD_41
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Herb,

Please note that the captrim is available only for the ECO i.e to set the frequency. So it cannot be used to tune the Antenna/RF path to recover the lost range.

You can use external power amplifier/ modify the mechanical structure of our design to improve the range.

Can you please attach some images of your board? We would like to see if we can provide some guidelines. Please refer our appnote on Antenna design guidelines from the link below:

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an91445-antenna-design-and-rf-layout-guideli...

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes