Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received Beta tester First comment on KBA

Considering transmission of time critical information such as audio or time syncing...

Does the wireless latency through a device vary between devices or is it strictly protocol dependent?

What is the lowest latency that can be achieved using a Bluetooth or BLE radio?

What is the lowest maximum latency that can be sustained for asynchronous transfer mode type applications?

I understand there are three major components of latency:

- Time for first bit of data that enters Bluetooth transmitting device until it that bit stimulates an RF signal on the antenna.

- Propagation from transmitting antenna to receiving antenna

- Time for first bit of data that stimulates receiving antenna until that bit is available at the output of the bluetooth device.

I believe Cypress has the ability to affect the first and last components of latency in the above definition.

It would also be helpful to understand any user controlled parameters that may affect latency.

Greg

1 Solution
SheetalJ
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 500 likes received

Hello Greg,

For information about BT audio latency, please refer Minimum BT Audio Latency with A2DP - KBA228264

In WICED, BT/BLE scan, connection intervals are defined in wiced_bt_cfg.c. Also, Latency Number for BCM20732/20732S for Android/iOS?  this thread might help you with some theory regarding timings.

I will try to get more information internally about the latency conditions you have mentioned and update you soon.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
SheetalJ
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 500 likes received

Hello Greg,

For information about BT audio latency, please refer Minimum BT Audio Latency with A2DP - KBA228264

In WICED, BT/BLE scan, connection intervals are defined in wiced_bt_cfg.c. Also, Latency Number for BCM20732/20732S for Android/iOS?  this thread might help you with some theory regarding timings.

I will try to get more information internally about the latency conditions you have mentioned and update you soon.