How do I measure capacitance on PSOC1 LPKit?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JeFe_286036
Level 3
Level 3

Greetings

I have this PSOC1 low power kit from element14.  In that, the humidity sensor and a couple of capacitors as reference are configured on 3 port pins.

I am looking for example code which shows how this capacitances in the range 200-1000pf can be read.

Thank you

Jerson Fernandes

0 Likes
1 Solution
Hari
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi JeFe_286036

This was mentioned in Element14 website:

pastedImage_0.png

We do not have a code example for this.

However, you can use a timer and a dac (or even a damped digital pulse) to measure the capacitance as the time to completely charge the capacitor increases with increase in capacitor. The two reference capacitors are provided to calibrate the value.

Best regards,

Hari

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Hari

Hello JeFe_286036

Is the requirement to read the capacitance value connected to the pin, or to measure the voltage at those pins?

Absolute capacitance measurement is not possible with the PSoC 1 for this range. If a constant value is connected, this can be tested by using a standard tool such as an LCR meter to measure the capacitance.

Best regards,
Hari

0 Likes

Hello Hari

If you see the schematic for the PSoC1 Low Power Development kit that is sold by element14, you will find the RH sensor connected on P1.2,  Cap_Hi reference of 470pf on P1.4 and Cap_Lo reference of 220pf on P1.6

Therefore, I have a strong feeling there must be some code example which shows how to use the connected sensor to find out the relative humidity value using the on board sensor and reference capacitors.

I wish to use the board with the thermistor and RH sensors for temperature and humidity measurements.

Thank you for your attention

Regards

Jerson Fernandes 

On Monday, July 20, 2020, 10:13:24 AM GMT+5:30, AH_96 <community-manager@cypress.com> wrote:

|

Cypress Developer Community

|

How do I measure capacitance on PSOC1 LPKit?

reply from AH_96 in PSoC 1 MCU - View the full discussion

Hello JeFe_286036

Is the requirement to read the capacitance value connected to the pin, or to measure the voltage at those pins?

Absolute capacitance measurement is not possible with the PSoC 1 for this range. If a constant value is connected, this can be tested by using a standard tool such as an LCR meter to measure the capacitance.

Best regards,

Hari

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Cypress Developer Community

Start a new discussion in PSoC 1 MCU by email or at Cypress Developer Community

Following How do I measure capacitance on PSOC1 LPKit? in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by Cypress Developer Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Cypress Developer Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

0 Likes
Hari

Hi JeFe_286036

This was mentioned in Element14 website:

pastedImage_0.png

We do not have a code example for this.

However, you can use a timer and a dac (or even a damped digital pulse) to measure the capacitance as the time to completely charge the capacitor increases with increase in capacitor. The two reference capacitors are provided to calibrate the value.

Best regards,

Hari

0 Likes