CY7C65213 2-pin uart

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
user_4734736
Level 1
Level 1

I want to run the CY7C65213 as UART->USB and just use two pins, and leave the others unconnected. According to the product sheet it should support this.

But in the windows tool Cypress USB-Serial Configuration Utility I can not change Type. 8-pin mode is the only available option.

How can I enable 2-pin mode?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello,

No, even the CY7C65213A is pre-configured for 8-pin mode. Please refer to Table 2 in the datasheet which lists the Internal Flash configuration details for the device. Since the Type is fixed, the number of available GPIOs is also listed as 8 in the datasheet, which is different from the CY7C65211/CY7C65215 parts which allow configuring more GPIOs in 2-pin mode.

I understand that the datasheet lists the different modes supported under "Features" so it may seem like those can be configured through the utility, apologies for the confusion and we will consider this in the next revision.

Best Regards,

Sananya

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello,

Yes, it is possible to use only the TX and RX pins and configure the device to Type 2-pin on the Configuration Utility. This should be possible with the Configure option for the SCB as shown in the settings. Could you please attach a screenshot of your device on the utility?

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes

This is what I see...

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Did I manage to download something way too old?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes

Hello,

Sorry I did not notice the part number based configuration. Please refer to section 2.3.2.1.2 of the USB-Serial Configuration Utility Guide, the CY7C65213 part is pre-configured in 8-pin mode so even the latest version(2.0.3.120) of the utility wont be giving an option to modify it.

However, you could connect the TX and RX pins of the device and disable flow control in your terminal settings.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes

So is it only the CY7C65213A that supports different types? I would say the datasheet is not clear on this point.

0 Likes

Hello,

No, even the CY7C65213A is pre-configured for 8-pin mode. Please refer to Table 2 in the datasheet which lists the Internal Flash configuration details for the device. Since the Type is fixed, the number of available GPIOs is also listed as 8 in the datasheet, which is different from the CY7C65211/CY7C65215 parts which allow configuring more GPIOs in 2-pin mode.

I understand that the datasheet lists the different modes supported under "Features" so it may seem like those can be configured through the utility, apologies for the confusion and we will consider this in the next revision.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes

Yes, for sure you should change this text, as it is the same as for 11 and 15. I was totally under the impression this chip worked in the same way as it's siblings.

0 Likes