OTA2 - the big picture

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
EyLa_3227556
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 10 questions asked

Hi,

I've found some documentation about OTA2 implementation on the client side ('OTA2 update support' in \doc of the SDK and some forum posts) but I still don't fully get the big picture.

Follow are some questions:

1. Does the modified image file resides on a predefined web server? Is it accessed over http/s?
  2. Is there any MQTT implementation of OTA2?
  3. Is there any 'negotiation' between the client and the server to verify image eligibility for download before actually downloading it (i.e. image versioning info)?
    Is this negotiation done independently at app level (rather than using OTA2 engine)?
  4. IS there any documentation describing the overall process, including server side considerations,  out there?

Thanks for any advice

0 Likes
1 Solution
Murali_R
250 sign-ins 250 replies posted 100 solutions authored

Hello EyLa_3227556

I apologize for the delayed response.please find my answers below.

Please note, my answers below are assuming that you are using the xx907 based platform.

1. Does the modified image file resides on a predefined web server? Is it accessed over http/s?

Ans: The default example that comes with WICED at /43xxx_Wi-Fi/apps/snip/ota2_example is not based on a webserver model, but can be modified to a webserver model. If the example is modified to webserver model, it is based on the HTTP by default.

Ans: There's no ready MQTT implementation of OTA2 in WICED. Although there's an implementation of OTA using MQTT in Anycloud SDK (ModusToolbox 2.1) at : GitHub - cypresssemiconductorco/mtb-example-anycloud-ota-mqtt: This code example demonstrates Over-t...

3. Is there any 'negotiation' between the client and the server to verify image eligibility for download before actually downloading it (i.e. image versioning info)?

Ans: Image version check can be done. Please refer to the section 10.3 and 10.4 of the OTA2 document available at /43xxx_Wi-Fi/doc/WICED-OTA2.pdf. However if you are using a softAP to set up a webserver, then the image version info check isn't done.

4. Is there any documentation describing the overall process, including server side considerations,  out there?

Ans: The document mentioned above has a big picture of how OTA2 works. I am not aware of any documents dealing with the server side.Maybe if you mention what is the information that you are looking at, then maybe i could help you out with it.

Thanks

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Murali_R
250 sign-ins 250 replies posted 100 solutions authored

Hello EyLa_3227556

I apologize for the delayed response.please find my answers below.

Please note, my answers below are assuming that you are using the xx907 based platform.

Ans: The default example that comes with WICED at /43xxx_Wi-Fi/apps/snip/ota2_example is not based on a webserver model, but can be modified to a webserver model. If the example is modified to webserver model, it is based on the HTTP by default.

Ans: There's no ready MQTT implementation of OTA2 in WICED. Although there's an implementation of OTA using MQTT in Anycloud SDK (ModusToolbox 2.1) at : GitHub - cypresssemiconductorco/mtb-example-anycloud-ota-mqtt: This code example demonstrates Over-t...

Ans: Image version check can be done. Please refer to the section 10.3 and 10.4 of the OTA2 document available at /43xxx_Wi-Fi/doc/WICED-OTA2.pdf. However if you are using a softAP to set up a webserver, then the image version info check isn't done.

4. Is there any documentation describing the overall process, including server side considerations,  out there?

Ans: The document mentioned above has a big picture of how OTA2 works. I am not aware of any documents dealing with the server side.Maybe if you mention what is the information that you are looking at, then maybe i could help you out with it.

Thanks