1 2 3 Previous Next 62 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2020 5:27 AM by LePo_1062026

USB bootloader dll

FrPo_1282226

Hi there,

we have implemented a USB Bootloader starting from the excellent AN https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an73503-psoc-usb-hid-bootloader

when we create the release mode version of the attached AN (we made some changes).

we found out that it works only on the machine that has PSoC creator installed (and it doesn't work for our customer).

please see the error message: (can't find the Bootloader_Utils.dll.) The confusing part is that when we browsed inside the installed directory,the dll is there! so I'm very confused...

do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Francesco

ofya8mpr.bmp

• 1. Re: USB bootloader dll
          LePo_1062026

Francesco,

Interesting!

Let me take a guess.

When you created your own Bootloader for the host PC, the compiler/linker uses your .dll as a resource/dependency which you installed in your Bootloader project directory.  Did you move the .dll in question into a directory or subdirectory of your project or reference it to somewhere else in your computer?

It's possible that your build on your computer points to the .dll just fine but uses an absolute reference to it to run.

The shared archive of the build for your customer includes the .dll but doesn't re-reference it as a relative linked file to run.  It might be using the absolute reference as used on your host computer.

There are host tools to display which file calls are being used for a Task/Process.  This might be able to detect where on your customer computer it thinks the .dll is located.

Are you using the installer/archiver that comes with the host computer when you built the Bootloader host program?

Len

• 2. Re: USB bootloader dll
            FrPo_1282226

Thank you Len,

I have added in the Visual Studio all the dll as references in the release version.

When I create the installer I can see that all the dll are correctly included in the installation package.

But I suspect, that for some reason on my PC I call a different dll.

You mention some tool I can use to check which dll I'm calling?which tool ? can you give me a link?

Thank you!

Francesco

• 3. Re: USB bootloader dll
              LePo_1062026

Francesco,

The tool I use is from Microsoft called ProcessMonitor.

Process Monitor - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs

It's powerful but you will need to do filtering to prevent too much information.  There is a simple way to add the filename of your Bootloader host program to filter as "Include".  Then only process calls from your application will show up in the display.

Len

• 4. Re: USB bootloader dll
                FrPo_1282226

Hi Len,

on my PC, the dll loaded is correct (where the App has been installed).

so it is still a mystery why on some PC this is not happening.

I don't want to ask my customer to use a tool like Pprocess Monitor to try to understand which dll is called.

• 5. Re: USB bootloader dll
                  LePo_1062026

Francesco,

Do you have another computer to perform the install of your bootloader program?

Since this other computer would not be your development computer, if you run into the same problem, you could run Process Monitor on this computer in your office to possibly determine the issue.

I have a 'target' computer I use that is NOT my development computer.  When I want to share an executable, I test it on this computer since it may not have the same dependencies that my development computer has.

Len

• 6. Re: USB bootloader dll
                    LePo_1062026

Francesco,

I downloaded the "USB Bootloader Host.zip" and compiled it on my computer.

I had NO problem opening the Bootloader host executable.  No .dll missing issue.

How are you distributing the host program to your customer?

Len

• 7. Re: USB bootloader dll
                      DheerajK_81

Hello Francesco.

Any update to LePo_1062026 questions?

Even I wasn't able to reproduce this error. Please follow the steps carefully as mentioned in the application note. Since you haven't attached the project I cannot say much, but one thing you could try is checking if you have the msvcr100.dll installed. If you don't have it, please download it from here and add it to the "C:\Windows\System32" folder.

Let me know if it works.

Regards,
                      Dheeraj

• 8. Re: USB bootloader dll
                        FrPo_1282226

Hi everybody,

sorry for the late reply,

I asked my customer to compile the project with a different version of Visual Studio, and their Software engineer is busy ATM.

I was waiting for his feedback to come back here.

I have asked my customer to share with you the Bootloader code, and they don't see any issue with that, but before I do that I want that their software engineer look at this first.

I have a looked at Process Monitor on My PC (which works) and I have proved that on my PC the software manage to open the USB bootloader dll correctly.

however on my customer PC this doesn't seem to happen, and this is the reason why I need their software engineer to look at this first.

As soon I get a feedback from him I'll let you both to know.

Thank you for your help so far I really appreciate, and as soon I have a feedback I'll let you know.

Kind regards,

Francesco

• 9. Re: USB bootloader dll
                          FrPo_1282226

Hi Lepo,

to reply your answer, yes I have distributed to my customer and only in his PC the bootloader is not working. it does work on my PC.

I have also proved that on my PC I call the correct dll (from the installed directory)

Kind regards,

Francesco

• 10. Re: USB bootloader dll
                            DheerajK_81

Hello Francesco,

Any update on this?

Regards,
                            Dheeraj

• 11. Re: USB bootloader dll
                              FrPo_1282226

Hi Dheeraj,

not yet, the coronavirus is creating more delays then expected...

if you want you can close this case and I will reopen when I have more information.

Kind regards,

Francesco.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: USB bootloader dll
                                FrPo_1282226

Hi Lepo,

sorry for the late reply,

while my customer was experiencing the issue, I was unable to replicate to my machines.

after some time I manage to get a machine where I can duplicate the issue, and while I'm still having the same issues as explained above, in the logfile from Process Monitor I can't find anything that may explains the issue.

I have a logfile for the issue... any chance I can send to you so you can see?

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Francesco

• 13. Re: USB bootloader dll
                                  LePo_1062026

Francesco,

I'd be willing to look at the log file.  Maybe I can find something.  If you place it on this post maybe someone from Cypress who is more familiar with the process may spot the issue.

Len

• 14. Re: USB bootloader dll
                                    FrPo_1282226

Thank you Leo,

I have attached a filtered portion from Process Monitor.

Francesco

1 2 3 Previous Next