5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2020 1:47 AM by SheetalJ_96

CYBT-333047: Differences between .ota.hex and .hex files

user_1536336

We are using a CYBT-333047 module based on the CYW20206 silicon. The .hex files for the EZ-Serial module platform are located here. There is a .zip archive with the up-to-date .hex files for this platform.

The Release.txt says the following:

This folder contains the EZ-Serial WICED Firmware V1.1.14 Release images for the

CYBT-343026-01 series modules. These images may be used on the following modules:

- CYBT-343026-01

- CYBT-333032-02

- CYBT-333047-02

- CYBT-343151-02

The xxx-rom-ram-Wiced-release.hex file is the complete firmware image suitable for flashing via HCI UART.

The xxx-rom-ram-Wiced-release.ota.bin files is suitable for BLE firmware update

Like mentioned in the Release.txt file, we can use the .hex file to completely update the module via WICED Module Programmer (HCI-Interface) and the .ota.bin file to update BLE firmware OTA via btsdk-peer-apps-ota.

But there is another file within the archive with an .ota.hex ending (ezserial_343026-CYBT_343026_EVAL-rom-ram-Wiced-release.ota.hex). What can we do with this file? It is not possible to use the WICED Module Programmer to flash our module with this .ota.hex file.

Best Regards!

• 1. Re: CYBT-333047: Differences between .ota.hex and .hex files
          SheetalJ_96

Hi user_1536336,

ota.bin is binary representation of the ota.hex file. OTA hex file uses different offsets than the hex file used for the HCI UART download.OTA hex file starts data at offset 0 and upgrade app deals with physical location. For HCI download or using WICED Module Programmer, you need to use .hex file.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CYBT-333047: Differences between .ota.hex and .hex files
            user_1536336
            1. Okay, so the .ota.bin file (for BLE stack update OTA) and the .hex file (for complete firmware update) is enough for me and I can remove .ota.hex in my repsoitory without loosing any functionallity?
            2. Is the currently up-to-date BLE stack included in the .hex file? So is the .ota.bin file a subset of the .hex file?

Best Reagrds!

• 3. Re: CYBT-333047: Differences between .ota.hex and .hex files
              SheetalJ_96

1. Yes ideally you can remove the file. I would suggest you to check it once before removing in final project.

2. I do not understand your point. As mentioned earlier, ota.bin is binary representation of the ota.hex file. I dont think it can be referred to as subset of .hex file.

• 4. Re: CYBT-333047: Differences between .ota.hex and .hex files
                user_1536336
                1. Okay!
                2. Sorry, I didn't explained it clearly. With .hex I did not mean .ota.hex

The EZ-Serial_V1_1_14_CYBT_343026_Release.txt file says:

The xxx-rom-ram-Wiced-release.hex file is the complete firmware image suitable for flashing via HCI UART.

The xxx-rom-ram-Wiced-release.ota.bin files is suitable for BLE firmware update.

When I do a complete firmware update via HCI UART (ezserial_343026-CYBT_343026_EVAL-rom-ram-Wiced-release.hex) is there automatically the (ezserial_343026-CYBT_343026_EVAL-rom-ram-Wiced-release.ota.bin) ble stack implemented? Or do I have to do a HCI UART update and afterwards a BLE OTA stack update?

If the ble stack (ezserial_343026-CYBT_343026_EVAL-rom-ram-Wiced-release.ota.bin) is integrated in the HCI UART (ezserial_343026-CYBT_343026_EVAL-rom-ram-Wiced-release.hex) update, the .ota.bin is a subset of the .hex for me.

Best Regards!

• 5. Re: CYBT-333047: Differences between .ota.hex and .hex files
                  SheetalJ_96

The BLE stack is in the ROM code and can’t be updated. You can only update your application.

The EZ-Serial_V1_1_14_CYBT_343026_Release.txt means:

The xxx-rom-ram-Wiced-release.hex is only for HCI UART download.

The xxx-rom-ram-Wiced-release.ota.bin can be used for the OTA update with BLE.

2 of 2 people found this helpful