How to change the name of service

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I am working on the app of heart rate monitor and i want to change the name of service for example in my mobile it is appear like "heart rate measurement" i want to change this to "sensor reading".

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello.

I don't think I was being clear in my previous comment. When I said the "app" in my previous comment, I meant to say the "mobile app". To be clear, from now on I'll will explicitly say "mobile app" when I'm referring to the app on your mobile and just "app" when referring to the app on your BLE device with GATT database.

The names of services displayed on your mobile app are handled by the mobile app not by your firmware app on the BLE device. Heart Rate Monitor app in our SDK uses Bluetooth SIG defined UUIDs for services and characteristics that have specific data formats and names. So you should stick with those names if possible.

If you want to see different names on the mobile app, you'll have to change the source code of the mobile app.

Hope this clarifies somethings.

James

Services | Bluetooth Development Portal

Characteristics | Bluetooth Development Portal

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

I think these threads address what you are looking for:

Unable to change device name

How to change device name in SmartReady's App

Ignore the reference to SmartReady in the 2nd one as the process is the same on Smart only.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello.

Displaying the service name is on the app side. I don't know which app you are using, but if you want to change the name of the service, then you'll need to change the source code of the app. In the app, you'll need to associate the name of the service that you want to a specific UUID of the service.

Hope that helps.

James

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

msiddique is this still an issue?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

kwang Yes I could not solve this issue. I want to modify the name of this two services.

PRIMARY_SERVICE_UUID16 (0x0028, UUID_SERVICE_HEART_RATE),

CHARACTERISTIC_UUID16 (0x0029, 0x002a, UUID_CHARACTERISTIC_HEART_RATE_MEASUREMENT, LEGATTDB_CHAR_PROP_NOTIFY, LEGATTDB_PERM_NONE, 4),

0x08,0x00,0x00,0x00,

0 Likes

There are 2 places where we store the device name.

Both are changed within the .c file for the project:

This one is used within advertisements. 

/*.local_name                     =*/ "Hello",        // [LOCAL_NAME_LEN_MAX];

There is another instance which is stored in the GATT database.

CHARACTERISTIC_UUID16 (0x0015, 0x0016, UUID_CHARACTERISTIC_DEVICE_NAME,

LEGATTDB_CHAR_PROP_READ, LEGATTDB_PERM_READABLE, 16),

'H','e','l','l','o',0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,

To make sure that the name is not cached, you can change the device address in the latforms\BCM020732TAG_Q32\... btp file. 

For example:

DLConfigBD_ADDRBase = "20732A001133"

Using this technique, your handset will see the new names.  "Using "Forget this Device" also works to clear the old name out, otherwise, the handset will just see the same BD_ADDR and automatically associate it with the previous name.

Anonymous
Not applicable

jamesle1

I am working on heart rate monitor app and try to modify it according to my application. I was able to change the name of app from BLE HR Monitor to Motion detector. My problem is that i was not successful to change the name of other services like Heart rate, Heart rate measurement, Heart rate sensor location and other services.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello.

I don't think I was being clear in my previous comment. When I said the "app" in my previous comment, I meant to say the "mobile app". To be clear, from now on I'll will explicitly say "mobile app" when I'm referring to the app on your mobile and just "app" when referring to the app on your BLE device with GATT database.

The names of services displayed on your mobile app are handled by the mobile app not by your firmware app on the BLE device. Heart Rate Monitor app in our SDK uses Bluetooth SIG defined UUIDs for services and characteristics that have specific data formats and names. So you should stick with those names if possible.

If you want to see different names on the mobile app, you'll have to change the source code of the mobile app.

Hope this clarifies somethings.

James

Services | Bluetooth Development Portal

Characteristics | Bluetooth Development Portal

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok jamesle1 thanks

0 Likes