6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2020 7:25 AM by PuSa_4091106

WLAN firmware with BLE

ShCa_4362486

Hi,

I  am using i.mx RT 1064 to talk to murata 1MW (CYW43455) module through SDIO. I am running the WLAN firmware provided.

Is it possible to use BLE at the same time (through HCI over UART)?

As far as I can see, the WLAN firmware does not have source code available, so i cannot edit it to add the BLE functionality.

• 1. Re: WLAN firmware with BLE
          ZhengbaoZ_96

Mostly, BT/BLE firmware will be downloaded from UART interface,  and run in another core  , so WLAN firmware can't match your needs.

Is it possible to use BLE at the same time (through HCI over UART)?

A:  yes , wlan and bt can run together.

• 2. Re: WLAN firmware with BLE
            ShCa_4362486

Is there source code or example code for the WLAN firmware running through SDIO?

I have integrated the WLAN firmware with the LWIP stack on my host uC (i.mx RT1064). Ideally I would prefer to make minimum changes to WLAN firmware to add in BLE (UART) functionality, but I'm not sure how to achieve this.

• 3. Re: WLAN firmware with BLE
              MichaelF_56

Adding the team from Murata: ScKe_1713761 RoCh_2868046 BiCh_3977566

• 4. Re: WLAN firmware with BLE
                PuSa_4091106

Hi ShCa_4362486,

The BLE is not functional on i.MX RT 1064 EVK yet that is why the BLE example is not included in the SDK. There was an issue with the BLE example and work is underway to fix the issue.

You can try using i.MX RT 1060 EVK instead of i.MX RT 1064 EVK. Both have almost the same features. Both Wi-Fi and BLE are functional on i.MX RT 1060 EVK. So if you want both Wi-Fi and BLE functionality, i.MX RT 1060 EVK is a better choice for now.

I hope this helps you.

Thanks,

Puja

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: WLAN firmware with BLE
                  ShCa_4362486

Thank you for pointing it out, it's very useful as a reference. I do not have the i.mx 1064 EVK yet, but i will test it out when i get it.

Will this example work with 1MW(CY43455)?

WICED_BLE library in the example appears to contain a firmware file, which is also in the wiced_bt_passthrough example for i.mx rt 1064 EVK example:

BCM4343A1_001.002.009.0103.0000_Generic_UART_37_4MHz_wlbga_wiced.hcd

Is this file used and needed? If so would it work with 1MW (CY43455)? If not, are there plans to release the equivilent firmware file in the future to support 1MW (CY43455)?

• 6. Re: WLAN firmware with BLE
                    PuSa_4091106

1MW is not included in the SDK for any i.MX RT family EVKs yet. Work is going on to include 1MW in the future release.

Yes, the file is needed. We are working on including both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth example for 1MW. Hopefully, you will be able to see 1MW in future SDK releases.

I hope that answers your question.

Thanks,

Puja

1 of 1 people found this helpful