8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2020 8:35 AM by JoYe_1259141

PSOC 6 BLE hardfp/vfp

JoYe_1259141

I'm currently using the CYBLE-416045-02 module for my CMSIS/DSP project.  Using the PSOC creator 4.2/4.3 I'm able to compile for hardfp with a separate make file.  However, adding the BLE function (CM0 ble controller/CM4 ble host stack) generates a VFP error because the ble/lib/*.a files were not generated for hardfp.  How does one generate a set of ble *.a files that incorporates VFP?  I'm currently using the PDL\3.1.1\middleware\ble\lib ble stack.

John Y.

• 1. Re: PSOC 6 BLE hardfp/vfp
          DheerajK_81

Hello John,

In the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\PDL\3.1.0\middleware\ble\lib", you can find the ".a" libraries for both HardFP and SoftFP. The SoftFP ones are named "xxxx_soft_cm4.a" and HardFP libraries are named "xxx_cm4.a".

Did you use the HardFP libraries and then notice the error?

Regards,

Dheeraj

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PSOC 6 BLE hardfp/vfp
            JoYe_1259141

Hi Dheeraj,

Thanks for getting back.  As PSOC Creator defaults to softfp, I've been compiling the using platform_debug.mk setting the -mfloat-abi=hard  for CFLAGS_CortexM4, LDFLAGS_CortexM4, ASFLAGS_CortexM4 and setting arm_cortexM4lf_math.  I noticed that I need to touch all the generated devices.c code to get most of the VFP to set to hard.  Is there a flag to tell the psoc to generate code using hardfp?

Regards,

John

• 3. Re: PSOC 6 BLE hardfp/vfp
              DheerajK_81

Hello John,

PSoC Creator doesn't have official support for HardFP. The method you have of exporting it to a makefile and adding the flags is the right way to go. You can refer this KBA which highlights this: Enabling Hardware Floating Point Compilation for Arm Cortex-M4 in PSoC Creator™ - KBA222890

Can you elaborate on the error you are seeing currently?

Regards,

Dheeraj

• 4. Re: PSOC 6 BLE hardfp/vfp
                JoYe_1259141

HI Dheeraj,

All the errors seem to be related to cy_ble_stack_gcc_host_ipc_cm4.a was not created with VFP turned on.

c:/program files (x86)/gnu tools arm embedded/6 2017-q2-update/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld.exe: error: output/debug/CortexM4/SoundSensor_BLE_CAL_link.elf uses VFP register arguments, Generated_Source/PSoC6/pdl/middleware/ble/lib/cy_ble_stack_gcc_host_ipc_cm4.a(att_fsm_handlers.o) does not

John

• 5. Re: PSOC 6 BLE hardfp/vfp
                  DheerajK_81

Hello John,

Checked with the internal team. HardFP variants haven't been added as part of the PDL 3.1.1 release. Please use the HardFP libs of the format "xxx_cm4f.a" inside the older PDL 3.1.0 version folder. You can find it at the path: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\PDL\3.1.0\middleware\ble\lib\".

Let me know your observations after using them.

Regards,

Dheeraj

• 6. Re: PSOC 6 BLE hardfp/vfp
                    JoYe_1259141

Hi Dheeraj,

I see the "xxx_cm4f.a" in the PDL 3.1.0 in the directory and I can point the build_settings/pdl to the 3.1.0.  But where do I tell the compiler to use the xxx_cm4f.a.  Should one specify it in the PSOC creator or modify the .cyprj file in the directory.  Do you have an example file or a tutorial?  I looked at the KBA222890 and Hardfp in PSoC Creator 4_2_Beta_2.docx, neither showed how to specify how to switch the .a files from soft to hard.

John

• 7. Re: PSOC 6 BLE hardfp/vfp
                      DheerajK_81

Hello John,

You cannot do it in PSoC Creator. The HardFP variants have been provided to you as part of PDL. The KBA is a generic one. Let me highlight all the steps required for PSoC6 projects below:

(1) Point to PDL 3.1.0 using Peripheral Driver Library > Custom in the Build Settings

(2) Export your PSoC Project to Makefile using Build Settings > Target IDEs > Makefile > Generate.

(3) Copy "cy_ble_stack_gcc_host_ipc_cm4f.a" from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\PDL\3.1.0\middleware\ble\lib" and place it inside  "<your_project>.cydsn\Generated_Source\PSoC6\pdl\middleware\ble\lib\" directory.

(4) Import the Makefile project into any of your favourite IDEs. I'm going to use Eclipse for example.

(5) In the file "platform_debug.mk" (present in your .cydsn folder), do a find and replace operation changing all "-mfloat-abi=softfp" to "-mfloat-abi=hard".

(6) Now edit the "gen_source.mk" file. It will be present under "Generated_Source/PSoC6". Add the HardFP variant of the BLE Static Library as shown below:

GEN_LIBS_CortexM4=\

Generated_Source/PSoC6/pdl/middleware/ble/lib/cy_ble_stack_gcc_host_ipc_cm4f.a

(7) Perform a clean and build. It will build successfully.

Attaching my files for reference. Let me know your observations

Regards,

Dheeraj

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: PSOC 6 BLE hardfp/vfp
                        JoYe_1259141

Hi Dheeraj,

Tweaking the "gen_source.mk" did the trick.  Thank you for your help.

Regards,

John