CY4532 Power bank 3-Cell design.

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
role_1685151
Level 2
Level 2
25 sign-ins First like given 10 sign-ins

Hi. Everyone.

I'm evaluating power bank using CY4532. I had checked 2-cell operation by default sdk firmware.

I want to know how to correct hw and configuration setting if it would use 3cell battery design.

Could you check my thoughts ?

1- CSEL resistor value change to open. Is it right? I found CSEL option in SC8802 datasheet.

pastedImage_0.png

2- Battery configuration change. what do you recommend value?

I had referred configuration utility user manual(1cell) and default sdk configuration value(2cell)

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

Is it right 3 cell setting value as below? what is recommendation value?

Items1 Cell2 Cell3 Cell
Battery maximum voltage(mV)4500900013500
Battery cutoff voltage(mV)300064009600
Battery discharge enable voltage(mV)3600700010500
Maximum battery charging current(mA)500050005000

Regards.

Robert.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Robert,

Kindly refer my comments.

1- CSEL resistor value change to open. Is it right? I found CSEL option in SC8802 datasheet.

>> Yes.

Additional, if you want to change to 3-Cell support,it is not only the CSEL value. You should check the all of external components of SC8802 with Vendor of SC8802. 

For CCG3PA part, the battery voltage measure is based on VBATT_MON_GPIO (pin#10),

>> If your project is 3-Cell, you cannot use Ez-PD configuration Utility for Battery configuration, it is because of the Ez-PD configuration Utility is target to 1-cell example and for CY4532 example code only. The recommendation is fill any value or keep default value in the Ez-PD configuration Utility, and fake the condition of battery in the SDK firmware (the condition should be change to the value you are looking for and follow SPEC of SC8802 3 cells setting.)

3- Do I need to change sdk firmware in case of using 3 cell?

>> Yes, the process is below:

-----------------------------------------------------------

New fill firmware project of CYPD3171 power bank example project. (This need refer user guide of SDK.)

Open the file:power_bank.c, there is function:pd_get_ptr_bat_chg_tbl() , the configuration table value is called/used from here, you will found that:

For example:         if (vbatt <= pd_get_ptr_bat_chg_tbl(port)->vbatt_cutoff_volt)

>> This is checking battery voltage higher than cut off voltage or not.

You need find out all of them and change to 3-cell value.

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

2 Replies
role_1685151
Level 2
Level 2
25 sign-ins First like given 10 sign-ins

added questions.

2- When I changed battery configuration, battery maximum voltage has a limit range under  10000. How to correct this parameter?

0 Likes

Hi Robert,

Kindly refer my comments.

>> Yes.

Additional, if you want to change to 3-Cell support,it is not only the CSEL value. You should check the all of external components of SC8802 with Vendor of SC8802. 

For CCG3PA part, the battery voltage measure is based on VBATT_MON_GPIO (pin#10),

>> If your project is 3-Cell, you cannot use Ez-PD configuration Utility for Battery configuration, it is because of the Ez-PD configuration Utility is target to 1-cell example and for CY4532 example code only. The recommendation is fill any value or keep default value in the Ez-PD configuration Utility, and fake the condition of battery in the SDK firmware (the condition should be change to the value you are looking for and follow SPEC of SC8802 3 cells setting.)

>> Yes, the process is below:

-----------------------------------------------------------

New fill firmware project of CYPD3171 power bank example project. (This need refer user guide of SDK.)

Open the file:power_bank.c, there is function:pd_get_ptr_bat_chg_tbl() , the configuration table value is called/used from here, you will found that:

For example:         if (vbatt <= pd_get_ptr_bat_chg_tbl(port)->vbatt_cutoff_volt)

>> This is checking battery voltage higher than cut off voltage or not.

You need find out all of them and change to 3-cell value.

Best Regards,

Lisa