How do I select the right CCGX IC for my application?

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AdBi_4635021
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted First like received First reply posted

I am working on implementing my first USB PD design, and I have been having difficulties determining what the right controller IC for my product application would be for the most straight-forward implementation.  The contorller is going into a battery powered device and needs to charge up to 30W, it will never source power outside of itself, it charges a LI-Ion battery and powers the system at 5V.  I think I need the CCG2 series as the most appropriate but I can't tell for sure and would like some clarification on where the different models fit most effectively, especially as the dev kit for CCG2 is ~$50 and for CCG1 is closer to ~$550.

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi ,

If you just want to add PD into your design and with low design efforts, BCR can be refer to. CYPD3177, it is Power sink only device, and the kit is $25.

https://www.cypress.com/CY4533

The limitation is BCR is only for power sink and it cannot be customized. But you can configure the Type-C as per your requirements.

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi ,

If you just want to add PD into your design and with low design efforts, BCR can be refer to. CYPD3177, it is Power sink only device, and the kit is $25.

https://www.cypress.com/CY4533

The limitation is BCR is only for power sink and it cannot be customized. But you can configure the Type-C as per your requirements.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your response, I am still intending on using the USB data connection with USB 2.0, will this CYPD3177 still work for that purpose? Can I connect the data lines to the microprocessor we want to use?  I'm reviewing the guides for the BCR but haven't come across that information yet.

0 Likes

Hi ,

You can wire the DP/DM from Type-C interface to your microprocessor directly and present as USB2.0 host.The DP/DM from BCR can let it floating.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes